Calculating Equilibrium Mass in a Pulley System

In summary, the picture provides no information on how many cables are providing support for the truck, so I used the approximation of two cables.
twerkit

Homework Statement

Find the mass necessary for equilibrium to occur in the following image. Assume that the mass and the friction of the pulleys are negligible.

giiiiirl-1.png

Homework Equations

None directly provided for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured for this problem I would set the sum of the net torques on the pulley equal to zero, because then the pulley is not spinning and the system is in equilibrium.

Here is my equation:

gravity = 9.8 m/s

Since torque is the cross product of the force times the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation, I used counterclockwise torque (provided by the truck) = F*rsin(x), but since the force is already perpendicular to the axis of rotation in the image I just used F*r, where the F = 1500*9.8*sin(45). The clockwise torque on the pulley is m*g*3r

ƩT = 1500kg*9.8*sin(45)*r - m*g*3r = 0

add m*g*3r to both sides and then divide by r to obtain:

ƩT = 1500kg*9.8*sin(45) = m*g*3

solving for the mass I get 353 kg, but the answer is 178 kg.

I noticed that multipying the right side by 6 instead of 3 yields the right answer, I just don't know why or what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many cables support the truck's weight?

gneill said:
How many cables support the truck's weight?

I don't know, the question is literally this :

"Find the mass necessary for the truck to be balanced on the slope in the figure. Assume that the mass and frictions of the pulleys are negligible."

That is all it says, no information regarding how many cables or the like is given.

twerkit said:
I don't know, the question is literally this :

"Find the mass necessary for the truck to be balanced on the slope in the figure. Assume that the mass and frictions of the pulleys are negligible."

That is all it says, no information regarding how many cables or the like is given.

Doesn't the picture make it clear? How many cables with tension T are holding the truck?

(Think: mechanical advantage)

gneill said:
Doesn't the picture make it clear? How many cables with tension T are holding the truck?

(Think: mechanical advantage)

Ah, I thought you were asking me as if you needed more information! So since two cables are supporting the truck, I divide my answer by two and get approximately 178 kg.

That looks about right. Well done.

gneill said:
That looks about right. Well done.

Thank you for the eye opener :-)

1. What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque different from force?

While force is a push or pull in a straight line, torque is a rotational force. Force can cause an object to move in a linear direction, while torque causes an object to rotate around an axis.

3. What factors affect torque?

The factors that affect torque include the magnitude of the force applied, the direction of the force relative to the axis of rotation, and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

4. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no change in the object's motion. In rotational equilibrium, the torques acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net torque and no change in the object's rotation.

5. How is torque involved in achieving equilibrium?

In order for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of all the torques acting on it must be equal to zero. This means that the clockwise torques must be balanced by the counterclockwise torques. By understanding how torque works, we can manipulate the forces and distances to achieve equilibrium in a system.