What is the Solution to the Equipotential Surface Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two charges and the determination of an equipotential surface. The surface is a flat surface that bisects the two charges and is the only equipotential surface in the given configuration. The potential at a point can be calculated by adding the potentials due to each charge at that point. By setting the potential to a constant value, a line can be determined that represents the equipotential surface.
gracy

Homework Statement

d.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

##\vec{E}##=##\frac{∂V}{∂r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have provided both problem and solution(almost)but the problem is I did not understand the solution.First of all
I did not understand the question what we are told to determine?
I locate the charges as follows
GRAPH.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you write the red part? It seems pretty sensible to me, so if you wrote it I think you've finished.

If it's a supplied solution and you don't understand it, can you explain what it is that troubles you about it? That would make it easier to help.

I don't know if this is relevant to your concern but I'll point out anyway that the surface they've asked you to identify is the only flat equipotential surface. All the others curve away from the flat surface. So the problem in general isn't as trivial as it might seem (if it's the apparent triviality that worries you).

Likes gracy
andrewkirk said:
If it's a supplied solution
Yes.

andrewkirk said:
can you explain what it is that troubles you about it?
gracy said:
I did not understand the question what we are told to determine?
I mean the question mentioned two charges located at rest and then suddenly it (the question)points out at equipotential surface.I don't understand from where does this equipotential surface come?

Last edited:
gracy said:
I mean the question mentioned two charges located at rest and then suddenly it (the question)points out at equipotential surface.I don't understand from where does this equipotential surface come from?
Do you understand what an equipotential surface is?

The flux is radiating radially outward for positive charges and inward if negative. For stand alone charge, any circle around it will be equipotential. If you introduce another charges, every point is determine by the resultant potential.

Likes gracy
haruspex said:
Do you understand what an equipotential surface is?
Equipotential surfaces are surfaces of constant scalar potential.

gracy said:
Equipotential surfaces are surfaces of constant scalar potential.
Right. So, in the configuration of charges given, you are trying to find the locus of all the points at some particular potential. In general that locus will be a surface, but it is here given as a 2D problem, so you are just looking for a closed curve in the plane. You are told a point that is on it (which effectively determines what the constant potential is).
Suppose the point (x, y) is on the equipotential. Write out the expression for the potential at that point.

es.png

Right?

haruspex said:
Write out the expression for the potential at that point.
How?

gracy said:
How?
Potential of the equipotential surface shown(by me in post #9)
##V##=##\frac{q}{4πεo r}##

Potential due to +1.0 C=##\frac{1}{4πεo 0.5}##

Potential due to -1.0 C=##\frac{-1}{4πεo 0.5}##

Net ##V## at the point =0

Hence this potential is constant for the entire surface
Right?

Last edited:
equipotential surface(especially when it is 2d) is just made up of many points at which potential is of same value.Right?

What I don't understand is we are given only two points how can we determine that the entire surface should be represented by straight line?beyond those two points ,surface can take any route/shape.

Last edited:
gracy said:
What I don't understand is we are given only two points how can we determine that the entire surface should be represented by straight line?beyond those two points ,surface can take any route/shape.
andrewkirk said:
surface they've asked you to identify is the only flat equipotential surface. All the others curve away from the flat surface
I think this somehow answers my question.But problem is I did not understand what @andrewkirk has written.

gracy said:
Potential of the equipotential surface shown(by me in post #9)
##V##=##\frac{q}{4πεo r}##

Potential due to +1.0 C=##\frac{1}{4πεo 0.5}##

Potential due to -1.0 C=##\frac{-1}{4πεo 0.5}##

Net ##V## at the point =0
You've calculated the potential at a single point.

gracy said:
Hence this potential is constant for the entire surface
Right?
The trick is to realize that, due to symmetry, the potential at any point on the plane y = 1.5 will be zero.

gracy said:
Each equipotential surface is a surface in 3D space, which corresponds to a line on the 2D graph, defined by the equation 'potential = P'. Each value of P gives a different line. The line they have asked you to find is the one where P=0.

The potential at a point ##(x,y)## is calculated as the sum of the potentials at that point created by each of the two charges, ie
##\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\bigg(\frac{1}{d((x,y)(1,1))}-\frac{1}{d((x,y),(1,2))}\bigg)## where ##d((x,y),(u,v))## is the distance between points ##(x,y)## and ##(u,v)##.

For P=0, this is a straight line that bisects the two charges. For P>0 it will be a downwards curved line, reflectively symmetric in the line x=1, with its maximum at x=1 at a point closer to the lower charge [Or it may be the other way around. I haven't bothered to work out which way the signs go because it doesn't matter for the purpose of this exercise] For any given potential value P, the equipotential line will be the line satisfying the equation

##\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\bigg(\frac{1}{d((x,y)(1,1))}-\frac{1}{d((x,y),(1,2))}\bigg)=P##

Likes gracy
andrewkirk said:
For P=0, this is a straight line that bisects the two charges. For P>0 it will be a downwards curved line
How do you know?
andrewkirk said:
by the equation 'potential = P
What's that?

gracy said:
You would not need to be given any points if you were just given the potential, V. You could then find all the points where the potential is equal to that value.
At the point (x, y), what is the potential due to the charge at (1, 1)? What is the potential due to the charge at (1,2)? Write the equation that the sum equals V.
Instead of being given the value V, you are given two points where the value is V. That allows you to determine V.

haruspex said:
You would not need to be given any points if you were just given the potential,
haruspex said:
Instead of being given the value V,
But I nowhere wrote that we have been given potential V

gracy said:
But I nowhere wrote that we have been given potential V
You have effectively been given the potential. You want the equipotential that passes through (1, 1.5). So find the potential at that point.

haruspex said:
So find the potential at that point.
I found that.It came out to be Zero.

andrewkirk said:
Each value of P gives a different line.
And line is always straight.
Definition of a line:A Line is a straight path that is endless in both directions.
And hence it can not take any route/shape.
Right?

gracy said:
I found that.It came out to be Zero.
Right, so you are looking for the equation relating x and y given that the potential at (x,y) is zero.
What is the general expression for the potential at (x,y) from those two charges?

gracy said:
Definition of a line:A Line is a straight path that is endless in both directions.
Right?
I often draw lines that are not straight. They're still lines. Ok, so call them curves.

Is definition wrong?

haruspex said:
I often draw lines that are not straight. They're still lines.
gracy said:
Is definition wrong?
Many words in mathematics and physics have slightly different meanings according to context. If you are a topologist you have to distinguish between round circles and other 'circles'. In the context of formal Euclidean geometry, yes lines and line segments are straight. Not so in projective geometry or topology. Lines of flux are generally not straight.

gracy said:
Right?
haruspex said:
yes lines and line segments are straight.

Here my reasoning is correct,right?[/QUOTE]

gracy said:
Here my reasoning is correct,right?
We're not discussing formal Euclidean geometry here. The context is physics. Stop being so pedantic. Andrew's post discussed curved and straight lines, quite explicitly, so it should have been obvious he was not taking 'line' to mean a straight line.

Equipotential surface (in this case equipotential lines in the x,y plane -- where line can be curved or straight) is the collection of points with the same potential. You have been given two points for which you calculate the potential to be zero. Other points for which the potential is also zero will have coordinates that satisfy andrewkirks last equation in his post #17 with P = 0.

When P = 0, you can reduce that equation to ##\ \ d(x,y)(1,1)=d(x,y)(1,2)\ \ ## which is the case for all points with y = 1.5.

y=1.5 is the equation of a straight line .

No fancy math; easy exercise.

:smile:

Likes gracy
It might help if you use the definition of the electric potential at a point:
"The work done in bringing a unit positive test charge from infinity to that point".
What path or paths (if you choose to use a plane instead of a straight line) , in this case,
would the test charge need to travel so that no work is done in moving the test charge?

I think I have understood this question properly that's why I want to show my understanding here

Each equipotential surface is a surface in 3D space, which corresponds to a line on the 2D graph where line can be curved or straight(That we will have to figure out).All the points on it will have same potential .With the two points given,I found out that same potential is zero then I had to find out the points of the equipotenial surface.##\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\bigg(\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-1)^2+(y-1)^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-1)^2+(y-2)^2}}\bigg)##=PThis is the equation for an arbitrary equipotential surface - If we put in the value of P, we will get the equipotential surface whose value of potential on it is equal to P

By solving that I got ##y##=##1.5##

in a 3D Cartesian coordinates it is a collection of all points (x,1.5,z) where the values of x and z are arbitrary, any possible values from −∞ to +∞.

Hence in this case the equipotential will be represented by straight line
es-png.92380.png

gracy said:
By solving that I got ##y=1.5##
By solving that for P = 0
in a 3D Cartesian coordinates it is a collection of all points (x,1.5,z) where the values of x and z are arbitrary, any possible values from −∞ to +∞. Hence in this case the equipotential will be represented by straight line
The intersection of this equipotential plane with the plane z = 0 is a straight line parallel to the x-axis

:smile: In short: your understanding is OK !

Likes gracy

Q: What is the Equipotential Surface Problem?

The Equipotential Surface Problem is a concept in physics and engineering that deals with finding the solution to a system of equations that describe the electric potential at different points in space. It is often encountered in the study of electric fields and is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles.

Q: What is the significance of the Equipotential Surface Problem?

The Equipotential Surface Problem is significant because it allows us to determine the electric potential at any point in space, which in turn helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in that space. It is also important in the design and analysis of electrical systems, such as circuits and power grids.

Q: How is the Equipotential Surface Problem solved?

The solution to the Equipotential Surface Problem involves using mathematical techniques, such as differential equations and vector calculus, to find the electric potential at different points in space. This can be done analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the system.

Q: What are some real-life applications of the Equipotential Surface Problem?

The Equipotential Surface Problem has many real-life applications, including the design of electrical systems, such as circuits, motors, and generators. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field or in particle accelerators.

Q: Are there any limitations to the solution of the Equipotential Surface Problem?

Yes, there are limitations to the solution of the Equipotential Surface Problem. In some cases, the system may be too complex to solve analytically, and numerical methods must be used instead. Additionally, the solution may only be an approximation, as it may not take into account all factors that affect the electric potential at a given point in space.