Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence classes and Induced metric

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    [itex](X,\rho)[/itex] is a pseudometric space

x~y if and only if [itex]ρ(x,y)=0[/itex]
    (It is shown that x~y is an equivalence relation)

If [itex]X^{*}[/itex] is a set of equivalence classes under this relation, then [itex]\rho(x,y)[/itex] depends only on the equivalence classes of x and y and [itex]\rho[/itex] induces a metric on [itex]X^{*}[/itex].

I know that from the question,

[itex]X^{*}=[/itex] {[a]; [itex]a\in X[/itex]} where [itex][a]={x\in X;\rho(x,a)=0}[/itex]

But I don't know how to go about proving that [itex]\rho(x,y)[/itex] depends only on [x] and [y]. I know i need to prove that [itex]\rho(x,y)[/itex] only depends on the all the [itex]c\in X[/itex] such that [itex]\rho(c,x)=\rho(c,y)=0[/itex].

But I just don't know where to start...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

triangle inequality? (i.e. re read the proof that ≈ is an equivalence relation.)
  4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    From the triangle inequality,

ρ(x,y) ≤ ρ(x,a) + ρ(a,y)

I know that ρ(x,a) = 0 if [itex] x \in [a] [/itex] or [itex] a \in [x] [/itex] and ρ(a,y) = 0 if [itex] y \in [a] [/itex] or [itex] a \in [y] [/itex]. And this shows that ρ(x,y) depends on [x] and [y] only?

And how do I show it induces a metric on X*
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?