1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence of microcanonical & canonical ensemble: necessary/sufficient conditions

1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    In a lot of practical situations it is simply assumed the canonical and microcanonical ensemble give the same predictions, and that's fine, but I'm interested in a more exact statement of when they are indeed equivalent (in the thermodynamic limit). First of all, a thermodynamic limit must exist. But I'm sure there most be other conditions on the system. Can anybody give some suggestions, arguments or references?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2
    Re: Equivalence of microcanonical & canonical ensemble: necessary/sufficient conditio

Mehran Kardar's textbook "Statistical Physics of Particles" has a very in-depth demonstration of how each of the ensembles leads to the same predictions. The entire book is basically contained in his "Lecture Notes" which are posted online.
    http://web.mit.edu/8.333/www/lectures/index.html
    You'll find the answer in Lectures 12, 13, and 14. Granted, this is a graduate-level text that most of my fellow graduates found unintelligible, but it does answer your question.

4. Aug 2, 2012 #3
    Re: Equivalence of microcanonical & canonical ensemble: necessary/sufficient conditio

Thank you, I will check it out. Can you give a page number?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook