Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence of microcanonical & canonical ensemble: necessary/sufficient conditions

1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    In a lot of practical situations it is simply assumed the canonical and microcanonical ensemble give the same predictions, and that's fine, but I'm interested in a more exact statement of when they are indeed equivalent (in the thermodynamic limit). First of all, a thermodynamic limit must exist. But I'm sure there most be other conditions on the system. Can anybody give some suggestions, arguments or references?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2
    Re: Equivalence of microcanonical & canonical ensemble: necessary/sufficient conditio

Mehran Kardar's textbook "Statistical Physics of Particles" has a very in-depth demonstration of how each of the ensembles leads to the same predictions. The entire book is basically contained in his "Lecture Notes" which are posted online.
    http://web.mit.edu/8.333/www/lectures/index.html
    You'll find the answer in Lectures 12, 13, and 14. Granted, this is a graduate-level text that most of my fellow graduates found unintelligible, but it does answer your question.

4. Aug 2, 2012 #3
    Re: Equivalence of microcanonical & canonical ensemble: necessary/sufficient conditio

Thank you, I will check it out. Can you give a page number?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook