Equivalent Expression for cot(-π/4) in Terms of Acute Angle

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding an equivalent expression for cot(-π/4) in terms of the related acute angle. The poster attempted to solve it by going clockwise on the unit circle and got -cotπ/4, but the textbook answer was cot3π/4. However, it was clarified that the poster's answer was correct and 3π/4 is actually a reflex angle, not an acute angle.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

State an equivalent expression in terms of the related acute angle?
(A) cot(-π/4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(A) I made the the unit circle and since its negative I went clockwise and made it into the fourth quadrant. I ended up getting -cotπ/4. However the answer is not the one that the textbook has given. I am a little confused.
The textbook has given the answer cot3π/4, but I thought we were supposed to go clockwise because it is negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

State an equivalent expression in terms of the related acute angle?
(A) cot(-π/4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(A) I made the the unit circle and since its negative I went clockwise and made it into the fourth quadrant. I ended up getting -cotπ/4. However the answer is not the one that the textbook has given. I am a little confused.
The textbook has given the answer cot3π/4, but I thought we were supposed to go clockwise because it is negative?

An acute angle is one that is less than ##\pi /2##. I've never seen this used for negative angles, so I'm not sure whether ##-\pi /4## would be considered acute. In any case, ##3\pi /4## is not an acute angle. It's actually a "reflex" angle (I had to look that one up).

I thought your answer was correct. ##\pi /4## is definitely an acute angle.

Last edited:
Likes Veronica_Oles
I agree with @PeroK -- ##3\pi/4## is not an acute angle.
PeroK said:
It's actually a "relflex" angle (I had to look that one up).
I'll bet what you actually looked up was "reflex". :oldbiggrin:

Likes Veronica_Oles and PeroK
PeroK said:
An acute angle is one that is less than ##\pi /2##. I've never seen this used for negative angles, so I'm not sure whether ##-\pi /4## would be considered acute. In any case, ##3\pi /4## is not an acute angle. It's actually a "reflex" angle (I had to look that one up).

I thought your answer was correct. ##\pi /4## is definitely an acute angle.
I just asked my teacher, I got the angle correct. Thx.

1. What are equivalent expressions?

Equivalent expressions are mathematical expressions that have the same value, but are written in different forms. They may have different numbers, variables, or operations, but when simplified, they will result in the same answer.

2. How can I tell if two expressions are equivalent?

You can tell if two expressions are equivalent by simplifying both expressions and seeing if they result in the same answer. You can also use the distributive property or combine like terms to check for equivalence.

3. Why is it important to understand equivalent expressions?

Understanding equivalent expressions is important because it allows you to manipulate and simplify expressions in different forms, making it easier to solve equations and analyze mathematical relationships. It also helps in identifying patterns and making connections between different concepts in mathematics.

4. How can I use equivalent expressions to solve equations?

You can use equivalent expressions to solve equations by simplifying both sides of the equation and then isolating the variable on one side. This allows you to find the value of the variable and solve the equation.

5. Can equivalent expressions have different variables?

Yes, equivalent expressions can have different variables as long as they result in the same value when simplified. They can also have different coefficients or powers as long as the overall structure and value remain the same.