Equivalent resistance in multiloop

In summary, in circuits (a) and (c), there is no current in the wire in the middle and it can be excluded. For circuits (b) and (c), the electric potential at c would be the same at d...therefore, the potential difference between c and d is 0V.
gills

Homework Statement

25_circuits.jpg

Homework Equations

Series: R(eq) = R(1) + R(2) + . . .

Parallel: [tex]\frac{1}{R(eq)}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{R(1)}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{R(2)}[/tex] + . . .

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confident w/ (b) i think, but i just want to know if I'm going about these correctly.

for (a), since nothing is in the center wire, that can be treated as a node. If that's the case, the top 2 and the bottom 2 can be treated like they're in parallel respectively, then added like they are in series. R(eq) = R(1)

for (b), the two sides can be treated like they are in series, then those are added in parallel. R(eq) = [tex]\frac{R(1)}{2}[/tex]

for (c), I'm labeling directions of current, but I'm not sure which add in what way. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Double check your math for (b).
Don't make (c) harder than it is (look at the hint).

To make things easier, the 2 junctions in the middle due to the wire in the middle will be labelled as points c and d. For each of the 3 circuits there is a junction next to A and B, in which the current splits along 2 routes. In both routes, whether it goes from A to B or vice versa, they go through a resistor R1 before making it to points c and d. Since they undergo the same resistance, the voltage drop for each route will be the same, so in that case, the electric potential at c would be the same at d...therefore, the potential difference between c and d is 0V (meaning there is no current running along that wire). So in circuits (a) and (c), there is no current in the wire in the middle and it can be excluded.

Gear300 said:
To make things easier, the 2 junctions in the middle due to the wire in the middle will be labelled as points c and d. For each of the 3 circuits there is a junction next to A and B, in which the current splits along 2 routes. In both routes, whether it goes from A to B or vice versa, they go through a resistor R1 before making it to points c and d. Since they undergo the same resistance, the voltage drop for each route will be the same, so in that case, the electric potential at c would be the same at d...therefore, the potential difference between c and d is 0V (meaning there is no current running along that wire). So in circuits (a) and (c), there is no current in the wire in the middle and it can be excluded.

Ok, the math was wrong in (b), R(eq) in (b) = R(1)

Now in (c), i totally understand what you're saying. So if that's the case, the equivalent resistance through all 3 circuits is just R(1).

What about a situation if there were a R(1) and a R(2) on opposite sides in (c)?

bump...^^

1. What is equivalent resistance in multiloop circuits?

Equivalent resistance in multiloop circuits is a measure of the overall resistance of the circuit. It takes into account all the individual resistances in the different loops and simplifies them into one equivalent resistance value.

2. How is equivalent resistance calculated in multiloop circuits?

Equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

3. Why is equivalent resistance important in multiloop circuits?

Equivalent resistance allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single resistance value, making it easier to analyze and understand the circuit. It also helps in determining the total current and voltage in the circuit.

4. How does the number of loops affect the equivalent resistance in a multiloop circuit?

The more loops there are in a multiloop circuit, the higher the equivalent resistance will be. This is because each loop adds another resistance value in the calculation, resulting in a higher overall resistance.

5. Can equivalent resistance ever be lower than the individual resistances in a multiloop circuit?

No, equivalent resistance can never be lower than the individual resistances in a multiloop circuit. This is because the formula for equivalent resistance involves adding the reciprocals of the individual resistances, which will always result in a value that is equal to or greater than the largest individual resistance.