Equivalent resistor of a simple circuit

In summary, the problem asks for the required resistance for a circuit with n resistors. The numbers by the resistors are not the resistance value, but the number of the resistor and all resistor values are equivalent. There is a pattern that may help to solve the problem, but it is not a valid mathematical solution. It is possible to calculate the resistance by checking a few Ns, but it is not a valid solution. The approximate final resistance can be found by using a hint.
Bardia Sahami
Hi. Anyone knows how to calculate the Req of this circuit? n tends to infinite.

q1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this question for schoolwork?

And are the numbers by the resistors the resistance value, or are they just the number of the resistor and all resistor values are equal?

berkeman said:
Is this question for schoolwork?

And are the numbers by the resistors the resistance value, or are they just the number of the resistor and all resistor values are equal?
Kinda.The numbers are based on ohm, so if number 1 in the first resistor means a 1 ohm-resistor.

Bardia Sahami said:
Kinda.
Okay, I've moved your thread to the schoolwork forums where all schoolwork-type questions belong. :smile:

And part of the rules for schoolwork is that you show your attempt at a solution before we can offer tutorial help. Can you show us how you would solve this for some finite cases? And then say how you would extend it to the infinite case in the problem?

berkeman said:
And part of the rules for schoolwork is that you show your attempt at a solution before we can offer tutorial help. Can you show us how you would solve this for some finite cases?
Yea, I tried to find a pattern with n=1 (the first block), n=2 (first and second blocks), n=3 and n=4, but it didn't have any kinds of patterns/valid sequences.
berkeman said:
And then say how you would extend it to the infinite case in the problem?
Well, once n tends to infinite, the resistance value is so high that can be considered as an open circuit.
The thing is, it's possible to calculate the Req by checking a few Ns and you can see that the value of Req would almost remain the same, but it's not a valid mathematical solution.

Last edited:
I think I see a pattern that may help to solve the problem.

Have you studied infinite series in your class work so far? It might make the final solution a little easier to calculate, but you also may not need it. I'm not sure yet.

Hint about the pattern -- When you look at one of the vertical resistors in the middle of that ladder, what do the 3 resistors just to the right of that resistor total up to compared to that vertical resistor? And can you use that fact to help express the total resistance as a series? :smile:

berkeman said:
Hint about the pattern -- When you look at one of the vertical resistors in the middle of that ladder, what do the 3 resistors just to the right of that resistor total up to compared to that vertical resistor?

I guess I got the idea of your hint, but I'm not sure if it's correct. So if we only consider the resistance value of the first block (n=0 only) as R, in n=1 circuit (first and second blocks only), we have 2R parallel with the first block (R), so we get something like
ans1.png

And Req = 1/R + 1/2R + 1/4R + ...

Bardia Sahami said:
I guess I got the idea of your hint, but I'm not sure if it's correct. So if we only consider the resistance value of the first block (n=0 only) as R, in n=1 circuit (first and second blocks only), we have 2R parallel with the first block (R), so we get something like
View attachment 261270
And Req = 1/R + 1/2R + 1/4R + ...
Hmmm.. Seems to be incorrect.

Bardia Sahami said:
we have 2R parallel with the first block (R),
No, I don't think that helps as much as referencing the next stage to the value of just the previous vertical resistor. What is the multiplier then? :smile:

berkeman said:
What is the multiplier then? :smile:
*Shrugs*
I tried to solve it in another way, but I realized it was also incorrect, I don't know..

Bardia Sahami said:
*Shrugs*
I tried to solve it in another way, but I realized it was also incorrect, I don't know..
Can you show what the series looks like if you use my hint? What is the resistance of each next stage that is in parallel with each vertical resistor...?

Bardia Sahami said:
The thing is, it's possible to calculate the Req by checking a few Ns and you can see that the value of Req would almost remain the same, but it's not a valid mathematical solution.
Can you say what you got for the approximate final resistance with that method? I'd like to check the answer that I got with an infinite series... :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you show what the series looks like if you use my hint? What is the resistance of each next stage that is in parallel with each vertical resistor...?
Well, I see a n*2.4 (n*12/5) in my calculations..

berkeman said:
Can you say what you got for the approximate final resistance with that method?
I don't know. Something like ~5.4 (or less)??

berkeman said:
:smile:
Any helps?

All correct answers are equivalent (!) but I converted the network into itself (2x the network attached to the three leftmost resisters is the network again) to get a quadratic equation for the network R value. No explicit series need be evaluated. Whatever works!

• Love
Likes sysprog, Joshy, berkeman and 2 others
hutchphd said:
but I converted the network into itself (2x the network attached to the three leftmost resisters is the network again)
Would you explain this part please? Why the other part is 2x the first block network?

It is my favorite trick (really my only trick for series so I use it whenever)
Let the unknown value of the network resistance be R.
II multiply every value in the network by 2 then the value of that network is obviously 2R.
But look at that network...if connect the 1,3 and 2 ohm resistors to the front end I again reproduce the original network. So I know that R=1ohm+2ohm + (3ohm in parallel with 2R)
Gives me a quadratic for R (pardon my Latex-lazy presentation).

• Love
  • Informative
Likes JC2000, sysprog, Bardia Sahami and 3 others
hutchphd said:
Let the unknown value of the network resistance be R.
II multiply every value in the network by 2 then the value of that network is obviously 2R.
But look at that network...if connect the 1,3 and 2 ohm resistors to the front end I again reproduce the original network. So I know that R=1ohm+2ohm + (3ohm in parallel with 2R)
Ohhhhhhh, yea.
Thanks. I finally realized.
Also thanks Berkeman for helping me out.

This can be closed I guess.

Likes berkeman
But I, but I, I have three pages filled with work! I'm sooo close to the solution! Just give me another 12 hours. That's all I ask! Pleeezzzee! o0)

Excellent trick by @hutchphd -- I think there is a puzzle on my math calendar from last month much like this problem. When I finally get to go back to work, I should be able to solve it finally!

Thanks guys. Fun stuff. :smile:

• Haha
Likes Bardia Sahami, Tom.G and hutchphd
Bardia Sahami said:
Ohhhhhhh, yea.
Thanks. I finally realized.
So when you amaze your friends and instructor with your solution, be sure to give attribution to this PF thread and, well, you know, that PhD guy... :wink:

Likes hutchphd
And learn it well...it is like free money when it works.! I had to show it off...

Likes berkeman
hutchphd said:
R=1ohm+2ohm + (3ohm in parallel with 2R)
Gives me a quadratic for R (pardon my Latex-lazy presentation).
I'll bite. Could you give the quadratic even if not in LaTex.?
(I seem to be slow tonite. :nb) )

Tnx,
Tom

Likes hutchphd
Brilliant trick @hutchphd!

While I knew this trick for the resistor ladder with equal resistances throughout, I couldn't extend that logic to this problem.

Looks like the circuit is not as "simple" as the title says :wink: .
Tom.G said:
I'll bite. Could you give the quadratic even if not in LaTex.?
2R2-9R-9=0.

Likes berkeman and hutchphd
cnh1995 said:
While I knew this trick for the resistor ladder with equal resistances throughout, I couldn't extend that logic to this problem.
Yea same. :)

cnh1995 said:
Looks like the circuit is not as "simple" as the title says :wink: .
Well, by "simple" I meant it doesn't have capacitor and/or inductor.

Likes cnh1995

1. What is an equivalent resistor in a simple circuit?

An equivalent resistor in a simple circuit is a single resistor that has the same resistance as the combination of multiple resistors in the circuit. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the circuit's behavior.

2. How do you calculate the equivalent resistor in a simple circuit?

The equivalent resistor in a simple circuit can be calculated using the formula Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. This formula is valid for resistors in series.

3. What is the equivalent resistance for resistors in parallel?

The equivalent resistance for resistors in parallel can be calculated using the formula Req = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...). This formula takes into account the inverse relationship between resistance and current in parallel circuits.

4. How does adding resistors in series affect the equivalent resistance?

When resistors are added in series, the equivalent resistance increases. This is because the total resistance is the sum of individual resistances, and the current has to pass through each resistor in the series.

5. What happens to the equivalent resistance when resistors are added in parallel?

When resistors are added in parallel, the equivalent resistance decreases. This is because the total current is divided among the parallel resistors, resulting in a lower overall resistance.