What is the issue with equivalent statements and complex numbers?

• Thread starter Andante
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the concept of equivalent mathematical statements states that any given number multiplied by 1 (1n) and the given number (n) are equal, and therefore any function performed on (1n) can also be done to (n) with the exact same results. However, this does not hold true for complex numbers, as taking the square root of 25(i^4) results in two solutions, -5 and 5, instead of just 5 as is the case with real numbers. This is because complex numbers do not have a positive or negative value like real numbers, making the concept of "positive" square root irrelevant in this case.
Andante
I've been having a little "problem" with the concept of equivalent mathematical statements. As far as I can tell, normally in algebra any given number multiplied by 1 (1n) and the given number (n) are equal, and therefore anything function you perform on (1n) can also be done to (n) with the exact same results. However, I have stumbled across a case where this does not seem to be true, and my algebra teacher won't even deal with the question because she says "we haven't begun to deal with imaginary numbers yet" (apparently implying that because the rest of the class doesn't even know they exist, I shouldn't even be thinking about them until she introduces them to the class :grumpy:)

Okay, so the issue she won't address is this:

1. If you multiply a number by 1, it has the exact same value as the number itself.

--So, 25 and 25(1) are the exact same thing.

2. Therefore, if you perform any given operation on these two equivalent statements, the answer should be the same.

--So, the square root of 25 and the square root of 25(1) are both 5.

3. Therefore, in theory you should be able to multiply a number by something that is EQUIVALENT to 1, and the number should still equal (1n) and (n).

--So, 25(i^4) and 25(1) and (25) all have the exact same value. [Where i is an imaginary number and i^4= (i^2)(i^2)=(-1)(-1)=1]

4. Therefore #2 should still hold true. But it doesn't seem to in this case:

--The square roots of 25 and 25(1) are both 5, but the square root of 25(i^4) is 5(i^2) or 5(-1) or -5.

My problem: As far as I understand, (or have been led to understand), the basic rules of mathematics are supposed to apply universally...at least within algebra. Identity statements should always remain identity statements, no matter what you do to the two equivalent statements. That is what we have always been taught in school, ever since kindergarten. So what I'm wondering is this: do the rules really NOT always apply, and we've been lied to all along, or do they actually still apply in this case and I'm just not seeing how?

And if the rules DON'T apply, then why is mathematics dealt with as "truth" when the truths it relies upon are not universal?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Andante said:
--The square roots of 25 and 25(1) are both 5, but the square root of 25(i^4) is 5(i^2) or 5(-1) or -5.

The square roots of 25 are 5 and -5...I'm not sure where you're getting the idea the the square root of 25 is only 5.

Perhaps you're confused by the fact that [itex]\sqrt{25}=5[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{25}\neq 5[/itex], but that's just because [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is defined as the positive square root. That doesn't mean -5 is not a square root; it's just the negative one.

Your problem seems to be

[tex] i^4 =i^0 \quad /()^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]i^2 \neq i^0[/tex]

Well, the thing is that one has to be more careful when dealing with complex numbers, and specially with complex functions. In any case
[tex](i^4) ^{\frac{1}{2}}^=1[/tex]

That's because when dealing with complex numbers, [tex]a^b[/tex] is defined in terms of complex exponential and logarithm.

Anyway, rest assured, for when you have

[tex]A=B[/tex]
and you apply a function f() to the above equation, since f is a function you can be sure that:
[tex]f(A)=f(B)[/tex]

Provided that you know f is a well defined function.

Last edited:
Andante said:
The problem you face arises from a property of the field of complex numbers which differs from the real numbers.

The number [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is a number whose square is equal to [tex]x.[/tex] However, there are two such numbers: one positive and one negative. If you want [tex]f(x)=\sqrt x[/tex] to be a function you have to choose which square root to take. When dealing with real numbers we always take the positive one, but that's just a convention.

When dealing with complex numbers, you cannot order them like real numbers and so there is no such thing as a positive or a negative complex number. Therefore we cannot choose which solution to take when taking the square root of a complex number, there are always 2 solutions. (It is sometimes said that [tex]f(z)=\sqrt z[/tex] is a 2-valued function).

So there is no such thing as the square root. And a square root of [tex]25i^4[/tex] is indeed -5. The other one of course is 5.

1. What are equivalent statements?

Equivalent statements are statements that have the same truth value. This means that they are either both true or both false.

2. How can I determine if two statements are equivalent?

To determine if two statements are equivalent, you can use truth tables or logical equivalences. Truth tables show all possible combinations of truth values for the statements, while logical equivalences are rules that show how two statements can be transformed into each other.

3. Why is it important to understand equivalent statements?

Understanding equivalent statements is important because it allows us to make logical deductions and draw conclusions from given information. It also helps us to identify and avoid logical fallacies.

4. Are equivalent statements always written in the same way?

No, equivalent statements can be written in different ways but still have the same truth value. For example, "If it is raining, then the ground is wet" and "The ground is wet if it is raining" are equivalent statements.

5. Can two contradictory statements be equivalent?

No, two contradictory statements cannot be equivalent. Contradictory statements are statements that have opposite truth values, meaning one is true while the other is false. For example, "The sky is blue" and "The sky is not blue" are contradictory statements and therefore not equivalent.