Error in My Book: Z cross Z/<(1,2)> = Z_2

  • Thread starter Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book Error
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1
[SOLVED] error in my book

Homework Statement


My book says that (Z cross Z)/<(1,2)> = Z. I say it equals Z cross Z_2. This is easy to see if you draw it out on a lattice plane. Right?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the books right. Can you spell out your reasoning a little more?
 
You can choose any lattice point on the line y=0 or the line y=1 and get a unique line with slope 2 that goes through that point.
 
Hmm. And I think it's just Z_2. I mean, it has to be a finite group doesn't it?
 
Construct a map [itex]\phi:\mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}[/itex] by [itex]\phi(a,b)=2a-b[/itex]. It's easy to check that this is a surjective homomorphism, and its kernel is <(1,2)>, so by the isomorphism theorem:

[tex]\mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z}/<(1,2)> \cong\mathbb{Z}[/tex]
 
Bing! Sure. It's not (Z/Z)x(Z/(2*Z)). Thanks, StatusX.