Error Messages Troubleshooting

• Thread starter pervect
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the occurrence of error messages when attempting to load the main page of a website. The messages indicate that there is an issue with retrieving data from another website, specifically Scientific American. This issue has occurred multiple times in the past week and has caused delays in loading the main page. Suggestions are made to avoid this issue in the future, such as caching the data or implementing a timeout for the RSS feed.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I'm currently getting the following error messages:

Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.sciam.com/xml/sciam.xml) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /includes/init.php(319) : eval()'d code on line 218

Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.sciam.com/xml/sciam.xml) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /includes/init.php(319) : eval()'d code on line 218

Physics news on Phys.org
you're not the only one

I received the same or similar messages yesterday, which slowed the loading of the main page. I posted about a main page problem.

Yup. This has occurred at least on 3 different days for the past week.

Zz.

BTW, this is a hint.

The only problem when this occurs is that it takes FOREVER to display the PF main page. You actually don't need to get to that to navigate around PF. Once you are in (after waiting FOREVER), to go from one forum to the other without going through the PF main page is quick and easy. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the drop-down Forum Jump box. This will allow you to go to any part of PF while bypassing the main page.

Zz.

This happens when loading the RSS data from Scientific American to display the Scientific American headlines. If the Scientific American site is down or overloaded then the main PF page (which waits for these headlines) will be very slow.

To avoid this PF can cache the Scientific American RSS locally on its server, then every X hours check for a new version of the RSS file.
Or implement an RSS timeout.

1. What is an error message?

An error message is a notification displayed on a computer or electronic device when something goes wrong during a process or operation. It typically contains information about the error, such as a code or description, and may suggest how to resolve the issue.

2. Why do I receive error messages?

Error messages can occur for a variety of reasons, such as incorrect input, software or hardware malfunctions, or network connectivity issues. They are designed to alert users of potential problems and help troubleshoot the issue.

3. How do I troubleshoot error messages?

First, try to understand the cause of the error by reading the message and any accompanying codes or details. Then, follow any suggested solutions, such as restarting the device or checking for updates. If the error persists, you may need to seek additional help or consult technical support.

4. Can I prevent error messages from appearing?

While some errors are inevitable, there are steps you can take to minimize the occurrence of error messages. These include regularly updating software and hardware, using reliable sources for downloads and installations, and properly maintaining your device.

5. Are all error messages the same?

No, error messages can vary in severity and type. Some may be minor and easily resolved, while others may indicate a more serious problem. It's important to pay attention to the details of an error message and take appropriate action to address it.