Understanding the Accepted Error in Stopwatch Usage

• Thread starter nicedazed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the person is asking for help in determining the accepted error in using a hand held stopwatch to time things. They mention that the stopwatch goes to 0.01 seconds but human error would outweigh that. They suggest a possible error of +/- 0.1 seconds based on individual reaction times. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about reaction times and the suggestion to reference a Wikipedia article on the topic for more information.
nicedazed

Homework Statement

I'm not too sure if this is the correct forum, but I had an experiment where we were timing things with a hand held stopwatch. The stopwatch goes to 0.01 seconds, but clearly the human error would outweigh that error.

So, if anyone could help me, I would like to know what the 'accepted' error in pushing a stopwatch would be.

Yes, I know we all have different reaction times, but I was thinking along the lines of +/- 0.1 seconds?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
half of that
try clicking it twice voluntarily and you know the error
neurons shoot at ahigh speed ,almost the same as on witnessing an event

nicedazed said:

Homework Statement

I'm not too sure if this is the correct forum, but I had an experiment where we were timing things with a hand held stopwatch. The stopwatch goes to 0.01 seconds, but clearly the human error would outweigh that error.

So, if anyone could help me, I would like to know what the 'accepted' error in pushing a stopwatch would be.

Yes, I know we all have different reaction times, but I was thinking along the lines of +/- 0.1 seconds?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Wow, the wikipedia article has lots of stuff in it! Yoiks.

Anyway, you may be able to find good into to use in the article. You can even reference it in you lab report:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_time

1. What is the "error of stopwatch usage"?

The error of stopwatch usage refers to the amount of inaccuracy or variability in the measurement of time using a stopwatch. This can be caused by a variety of factors such as human reaction time, equipment limitations, or external factors.

2. How do you calculate the error of stopwatch usage?

The error of stopwatch usage can be calculated by taking multiple measurements of the same event with a stopwatch and then finding the average difference between the recorded times and the actual time. This value represents the error of the stopwatch.

3. What are some common sources of error in stopwatch usage?

Some common sources of error in stopwatch usage include human error, such as starting or stopping the stopwatch at the wrong time, limitations of the stopwatch itself, such as a slow reaction time or a lag in starting/stopping, and external factors such as temperature or environmental conditions.

4. How can you reduce the error of stopwatch usage?

The error of stopwatch usage can be reduced by using a high-quality stopwatch with a fast reaction time, practicing proper technique in starting and stopping the stopwatch, and minimizing external factors that could affect the measurement, such as controlling temperature or avoiding distractions.

5. Is there a way to completely eliminate the error of stopwatch usage?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the error of stopwatch usage, it can be minimized through careful technique, using advanced timing equipment, and repeating measurements multiple times to find an average value. However, there will always be some level of error present in any measurement taken with a stopwatch.