1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Espresso Problem

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    I am having trouble with this question:

The temperature of the espresso coffee (mostly water) can be increased by blowing 100 C steam into it. How much steam (in grams) is needed to heat up a 20 cm^3 cup of espresso from 50 C to 80 C? What is the volume of this quantity of steam assuming that the steam is an ideal gas?

So far I have started like so:

Since the 20 cm^3 conversion to grams with water is just 1:1 I just said 20 g of water for starting.

And approached it like so:

(20g)(1 g/cal)(80 C – 50 C)= -ms(-540 cal/g) + (1 cal/g)(80 C – 100 C) and got ms to be roughly 1.11 g of steam.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't know the numbers for cal off by heart but that's the right approach

mass coffee * specific heat cap * temp change = energy (steam->water) + mass steam * specific heat cap water * temp change (from 100 to final T)
  4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    my approach is

mass of coffee*specific heat of water(1cal/g/K)*delta T= mass of steam * heat of condensation(540cal/g)+mass of steam * 1cal/g/K* (100-final T)

and the hw software determined that I am wrong

HELP!!!! due tomorrow 10 am
  5. Jan 31, 2010 #4
  6. Feb 1, 2010 #5
  7. Feb 1, 2010 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may be too late to help you, but here is some advice for the future:

Show what answer you got. You have set up the correct equation, so we can't tell where your mistake is.

This forum has people from all over the world, from many different time zones. We don't know when "10 am" is for you.

Don't bump your thread every couple of hours.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook