Establishing consistency between a wave model of the photon and a particle model

In summary, the intensity (energy density) of an electromagnetic wave is proportional to the second power of the electric field amplitude, i.e. intensity ## I=n \, E^2 ##, apart from proportionality constants. Meanwhile the energy contained in N photons is ## U=N \, E_p ##, where ## E_p=\hbar \omega ## is the energy of a single photon. It may be a poor physics to consider the electomagnetic field ## E_i ## of a single photon, but assuming we can, the superposition of ## N ## photons in the same mode all in phase with each other results in a state that has ## N^2 ## that of the initial energy, since ## E_{total}=NE
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Note: added to the title should be "and a particle description". ## \\ ## The intensity (energy density) of an electromagnetic wave is proportional to the second power of the electric field amplitude, i.e. intensity ## I=n \, E^2 ##, apart from proportionality constants. Meanwhile the energy contained in N photons is ## U=N \, E_p ##, where ## E_p=\hbar \omega ## is the energy of a single photon. It may be a poor physics to consider the electomagnetic field ## E_i ## of a single photon, but assuming we can, the superposition of ## N ## photons in the same mode all in phase with each other results in a state that has ## N^2 ## that of the initial energy, since ## E_{total}=NE_i ## in that case. One explanation that avoids this dilemma is to have the phases of each of the individual photons to be random when all of the photons are in the same photon mode, so that the phasor diagram to compute the resultant ## E_{total} ## is that of a 2-D random walk. For large ## N ##, ## E_{total} ## will be proportional to ## \sqrt{N } ## and the energy will be proportional to ## N ##, (i.e. ## E_{total} \approx \sqrt{N} E_i ##), as it needs to be. The question I have is if this explanation is consistent with the presently accepted way of how the photon is modeled, by QED for example?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Link said:
It may be a poor physics to consider the electomagnetic field Ei E_i of a single photon

Then why are you doing it?

You are taking a quantum mechanical system that is not in an eigenstate of electric field and treating it as if it were. Why should that produce anything helpful?

Likes dextercioby
Vanadium 50 said:
Then why are you doing it?

You are taking a quantum mechanical system that is not in an eigenstate of electric field and treating it as if it were. Why should that produce anything helpful?
In some ways, it may be like doing what Bohr did by assuming circular electron orbits in the Bohr model of the atom. Letting ## E_i(t)=E_i cos(\omega t +\phi) ## for some random but constant ## \phi ## does give a result that gives consistency (for energy computations) to the classical model of the electromagnetic field. ## \\ ## Additional comment: The Bohr model may not be completely correct, but it is still the quickest way to compute the wavelengths of the principal transitions in the hydrogen atom.

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like a personal theory.

Anyway, you have your answer. No, this is not something consistent with QED because it's not even consistent with QM.

Vanadium 50 said:
This sounds a lot like a personal theory.

Anyway, you have your answer. No, this is not something consistent with QED because it's not even consistent with QM.
Thank you for the input. It probably does then fall into the category of a personal theory. Unless anyone else has anything that keeps it from being that, it appears under the Physics Forum rules, further discussion would not be favored and/or not allowed, which is really ok with me. :) :)

Charles Link said:
Note: added to the title should be "and a particle description".
Done.
(and in the future if you need a correction of this sort, just report your own post - that brings it to the attention of the mentors so that one of us can fix it for you).

Likes Charles Link
One additional comment: I just did a quick google of the subject of Quantum Phase Operators and the following paper showed up: Quantum Phase and Quantum Phase Operators, Some Physics and Some History by Michael Martin Nieto dated 1993 I believe. Here is a "link" : http://cds.cern.ch/record/567453/files/9304036.pdf Some of the mathematics and some of the conclusions are above my present level, but I found it of much interest. At the time of the writing of the paper, it appears there is still no good answer for what the phase of the photon wave function might be for small ## N ##.

1. What is the wave model of the photon?

The wave model of the photon is a theory that describes light as a form of electromagnetic radiation, consisting of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. According to this model, photons are considered to be waves with a specific frequency and wavelength.

2. What is the particle model of the photon?

The particle model of the photon is a theory that describes light as a collection of individual particles, known as photons. According to this model, photons have properties such as energy and momentum and can behave like particles in certain situations.

3. How do the wave and particle models of the photon differ?

The wave and particle models of the photon differ in their fundamental nature. The wave model describes light as a continuous wave, while the particle model describes light as a discrete particle. Additionally, the wave model focuses on the properties of light at a macroscopic level, while the particle model looks at the behavior of individual photons.

4. Why is it important to establish consistency between the wave and particle models of the photon?

Establishing consistency between the wave and particle models of the photon is important because it helps us better understand the nature of light. It allows us to make accurate predictions and explanations of light phenomena, and it also helps bridge the gap between classical and quantum theories of light.

5. How is consistency between the wave and particle models of the photon achieved?

Consistency between the two models is achieved through experimental observations and theoretical developments. By conducting experiments and analyzing the results, scientists can gather evidence to support or refute either model. Additionally, theoretical advancements such as the quantum theory of light have helped bridge the gap between the two models and establish their consistency.