Estimate the integral of g over the cube

In summary, we discussed how to integrate the function $g=xyz$ over a cube in the first half-quadrant, bounded by the levels $x=1, y=1, z=1$. We used the formula $ \int \int_A{g(x,y,z)dS}= \int \int_D {g(x,y,z(x,y)) \sqrt{1+z_x^2+z_y^2}dxdy}$ to solve the problem and found that the integral is equal to $\frac{1}{4}$. We also considered integrating over all 6 sides of the cube, but determined that 3 of them would result in 0 and could be ignored. We then discussed the difference between integrating over
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I have the following exercise:
Integrate the $g=xyz$ over the cube that is on the first half-quadrant and it is bounded from the levels $x=1, y=1, z=1$.

Having the following formula:
$ \int \int_A{g(x,y,z)dS}= \int \int_D {g(x,y,z(x,y)) \sqrt{1+z_x^2+z_y^2}dxdy}$

do I have to take $z(x,y)=1$?
Then the integral is $ \int \int_A{xyzdS}= \int \int_D {xy \sqrt{1}dxdy}=\int \int_D {xy dxdy}$

Since the cube is on the first half-quadrant, $x \geq 0, y \geq 0$

So $ \int \int_A{xyzdS}= \int_0^1 \int_0^1 {xydxdy}=\frac{1}{4}$.

Do I have to do that also for taking $x(y,z)=1$ and then $y(x,z)=1$, and then add the results?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I have the following exercise:
Integrate the $g=xyz$ over the cube that is on the first half-quadrant and it is bounded from the levels $x=1, y=1, z=1$.

Having the following formula:
$ \int \int_A{g(x,y,z)dS}= \int \int_D {g(x,y,z(x,y)) \sqrt{1+z_x^2+z_y^2}dxdy}$

do I have to take $z(x,y)=1$?
Then the integral is $ \int \int_A{xyzdS}= \int \int_D {xy \sqrt{1}dxdy}=\int \int_D {xy dxdy}$

Since the cube is on the first half-quadrant, $x \geq 0, y \geq 0$

So $ \int \int_A{xyzdS}= \int_0^1 \int_0^1 {xydxdy}=\frac{1}{4}$.

Do I have to do that also for taking $x(y,z)=1$ and then $y(x,z)=1$, and then add the results?

Hai!

Yep, yep, and yep.

Actually, you need to integrate over all 6 sides of the cube, but lucky for you, 3 of those sides will integrate 0 resulting in 0 so you can ignore them. :rolleyes:

I like Serena said:
Hai!

Yep, yep, and yep.

Actually, you need to integrate over all 6 sides of the cube, but lucky for you, 3 of those sides will integrate 0 resulting in 0 so you can ignore them. :rolleyes:

To integrate over the 3 slides resulting in 0 do we take $x(y,z)=y(x,z)=z(x,y)=0$?

mathmari said:
To integrate over the 3 slides resulting in 0 do we take $x(y,z)=y(x,z)=z(x,y)=0$?

Yep.
Btw, I am assuming you're supposed to integrate over the surface of the cube as opposed to the volume of the cube.

I like Serena said:
Yep.
Btw, I am assuming you're supposed to integrate over the surface of the cube as opposed to the volume of the cube.

By the way I solved it did I calculate the volume of the cube?

mathmari said:
By the way I solved it did I calculate the volume of the cube?

Nope. You integrated over the surface.
To integrate over the volume of the cube, you would need a triple integral:
$$\int_0^1\int_0^1\int_0^1 xyz\ dx dy dz$$

Edit: I'm just wondering if this is a setup for Gauss's theorem.

I like Serena said:
Nope. You integrated over the surface.
To integrate over the volume of the cube, you would need a triple integral:
$$\int_0^1\int_0^1\int_0^1 xyz\ dx dy dz$$

Edit: I'm just wondering if this is a setup for Gauss's theorem.

Aha! Ok!
Thank you for your answer! :eek:

And, of course,
[tex]\int_0^1\int_0^1\int_0^1 xyz dxdydz= \int_0^1 xdx\int_0^1 ydy\int_0^1 zdz[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
And, of course,
[tex]\int_0^1\int_0^1\int_0^1 xyz dxdydz= \int_0^1 xdx\int_0^1 ydy\int_0^1 zdz[/tex]

Ok! Thanks a lot! :eek:

Related to Estimate the integral of g over the cube

What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to find the exact value of a quantity that is changing continuously.

What is the cube in the context of integrals?

The cube in the context of integrals refers to a three-dimensional shape with six square faces, also known as a rectangular prism. In this case, the cube is used as the domain for the function g to be integrated over.

How do you estimate an integral over a cube?

To estimate an integral over a cube, you can use numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve dividing the cube into smaller subcubes and approximating the integral by calculating the areas of these subcubes.

Why is it important to estimate integrals over a cube?

Estimating integrals over a cube is important because it allows us to approximate the exact value of the integral without having to solve complex equations. It is also useful in many real-world applications such as calculating volumes and finding the average value of a function.

What are some practical applications of estimating an integral over a cube?

Estimating an integral over a cube has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the center of mass of an object, or the average cost of a product.