Estimate the velocity achieved when you jump

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the initial velocity achieved when jumping straight up and using the height reached on Earth to estimate the change in potential energy and then applying conservation of energy to estimate the initial kinetic energy. The formula ymax=(v^2 sin^2 @)/2g is incorrect and the hint should be followed instead. The correct approach involves calculating the potential and kinetic energy at maximum height and using conservation of energy to solve for the initial kinetic energy. The final result is a velocity of 1.72e6 cm/s.
leonne

Homework Statement

estimate the velocity you achieve when you jump straight up hint use the height you reach jumping on Earth to estimate the change in potential energy and then use conservation of energy to estimate you initial kinetic energy

Homework Equations

ymax=(v^2 sin^2 @)/2g

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just use that formula to solve for velocity or I have to use something else from what the hint is saying.
The main question is about, seeing if you can jump off an asteroid under your own power.

Physics news on Phys.org
leonne said:

Homework Statement

estimate the velocity you achieve when you jump straight up hint use the height you reach jumping on Earth to estimate the change in potential energy and then use conservation of energy to estimate you initial kinetic energy

Homework Equations

ymax=(v^2 sin^2 @)/2g

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just use that formula to solve for velocity or I have to use something else from what the hint is saying.
You have the wrong formula. Follow the hint. What is the kinetic energy and potential energy immediately after jumping (h=0, v = vmax)? What is the kinetic energy and potential energy at maximum height? Write out the expression for total energy. Does it change?

AM

Hey thxs for the info so this is what i got
Pe= mgh Ke=1/2 Mv^2 height i got 50 cm mass 61235 grams and gravity is 98.1cm/s^2 (This is for astrophysics and some reason we can't use si units)

And using conservation of energy Pei+Kei= Pef +Kef

Pei would be 0 , we are trying to find kei Pef would be 3.00 e8 and Kef would be the same as Pef Then just solve for Kei =9e16 then plug that in the formula to find the initial velocity =1.72e6

Did i do this right?

1. What factors affect the velocity achieved when jumping?

The velocity achieved when jumping is affected by several factors, including the force applied to the ground, the angle and position of the body during the jump, and the body's mass and muscle strength.

2. How do you calculate the velocity achieved when jumping?

The velocity achieved when jumping can be calculated by dividing the distance of the jump by the time it takes to complete the jump. This is known as the average velocity.

3. Can you increase your jumping velocity?

Yes, you can increase your jumping velocity by improving your muscle strength and technique. Proper form and explosive power can help you achieve a higher velocity when jumping.

4. Is the velocity achieved when jumping the same for everyone?

No, the velocity achieved when jumping can vary greatly between individuals due to differences in muscle strength, body composition, and technique.

5. What is the average velocity achieved when jumping?

The average velocity achieved when jumping can vary, but the average human is capable of jumping at a velocity of around 3.3 meters per second.