Estimating a Population from Sampling with Imperfect Detection

In summary, the person is seeking help with estimating the original population of archaeological sites in a region. They have two methods for sampling and are trying to find an appropriate formula to account for imperfect detectability. They have found a modified version of the Horvitz-Thompson estimator in Thompson and Seber's book, which takes into account imperfect detectability, and are trying to understand how to apply it to their data. The key variables in the formula are n, y, p, w, and N. The formula is N = (n/y) * ∑(w * y). The person is open to further clarification and assistance with their research.
MindsEyeSifter
Hello All, thanks for looking at my post and question. I have jumped into deep statistical and probability waters which have outstripped my current state of knowledge so any help you can render would be greatly appreciated. Here is my question:

I am trying to get an estimate of the original population in this case of archaeological sites. To do so I have two methods by which I can sample an area. Using a mathematical model I built and based on known archaeological sites in a particular region I can characterize the sites based on two parameters which affect detection: site size and artifact density. From this I can derive a mean probability of detection as well as the standard deviation and the variance. The two methods have different detection probabilities and will strongly affect the interpretation if taken into account.

In order to estimate the population (true number of archaeological sites in a region) I could simply take the mean detection probability and proportionally adjust for it, but this would not produce very robust results. I have attempted to find other equations which would allow me to more accurately estimate the original population. However I do not understand the formulas enough to be able to determine if they would apply to my data and answer the questions I am asking.

The most promising comes from Thompson and Seber's book Adaptive Sampling (1996:223-226). In example 9.3 they present a modified version of the Horvitz-Thompson estimator. Thompson and Seber modified the original to take into account imperfect detectability of the sampling methods. Attached are the pertinent pages from their book. I am not proficient at typing out the formulas so I apologize for the low rez pdf.
Basically I am having a hard time understanding what all of the variables are and what I should do with them in order to evaluate the appropriateness of this formula for my work.
I am sure I am leaving out gobs of information so if you need any clarification please ask and thanks again for all the help!

Attachments

• AdaptiveSampling_scan.pdf
    174.6 KB · Views: 43
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your question. It is clear that you have put a lot of effort into designing your study and trying to find an appropriate method for estimating the original population of archaeological sites in your region. I understand that the formulas and equations can be overwhelming and difficult to interpret, but I will do my best to explain them in simpler terms.

The formula you mentioned from Thompson and Seber's book is a modified version of the Horvitz-Thompson estimator. This estimator is commonly used in surveys to estimate the total number of individuals or objects in a population based on a sample. In your case, the population is the total number of archaeological sites in your region and the sample is the sites that have been detected.

The key variables in this formula are:

- n: The number of sites in your sample.
- y: The number of sites in your sample that have been detected.
- p: The probability of detecting a site in your sample. This is calculated based on the two parameters you mentioned - site size and artifact density.
- w: The weight assigned to each site in your sample. This is calculated by dividing 1 by the probability of detection for that site.
- N: The estimated total number of sites in your region.

The formula for the modified Horvitz-Thompson estimator is:

N = (n/y) * ∑(w * y)

This means that you can estimate the total number of sites in your region by multiplying the number of sites in your sample (n) by the ratio of detected sites (y) to total sites in the sample, and then multiplying this by the sum of the weights (w) assigned to each site that has been detected.

This modified version takes into account the imperfect detectability of your sampling methods, which is important for producing more accurate results. However, it is important to note that this estimator assumes that the probability of detection is the same for all sites in your region. If this is not the case, you may need to consider using a different method.

I hope this explanation has helped you better understand the formula and how it applies to your study. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Estimating a Population from Sampling with Imperfect Detection

1. How is population size estimated from sampling with imperfect detection?

Population size is estimated by using statistical models and techniques to account for imperfect detection, such as capture-recapture methods. These methods use data from multiple samples to estimate the proportion of the population that was detected in each sample and extrapolate this information to estimate the total population size.

2. What is imperfect detection?

Imperfect detection refers to the inability to detect every individual in a population during a sampling event. This can be due to various factors such as low capture probability, imperfect survey methods, or individuals being in inaccessible areas during sampling.

3. What are some common techniques for estimating population size from sampling with imperfect detection?

Some common techniques include mark-recapture methods, distance sampling, and occupancy modeling. These methods use data from multiple samples and incorporate information about the detection probability to estimate the total population size.

4. How does sample size affect the accuracy of population estimates?

The larger the sample size, the more accurate the population estimate will be. This is because larger sample sizes capture a larger proportion of the population, reducing the uncertainty in the estimates. However, sample size alone is not the only factor that affects accuracy, as the sampling design, detection probability, and other factors also play a role.

5. Can population estimates from sampling with imperfect detection be biased?

Yes, population estimates from sampling with imperfect detection can be biased if the detection probability is not accounted for in the estimation process. This can lead to overestimation or underestimation of the true population size. Therefore, it is important to use appropriate statistical methods that account for imperfect detection to reduce bias in population estimates.