Estimating Electromagnetic Radiation from a Cellular Phone

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a type of problem related to estimating the frequency and power of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a cellular phone during a typical phone call. They are studying for their comprehensive exams and have provided equations and information given on the exam. They are seeking insight and advice on how to approach this problem.
JordanD
Hello all,
I have a problem with a typical style of problem I seem to always struggle with. Just to clear this up, I am studying for my comprehensive exams later this summer. So I am going through past problems to bone up on the last two years of grad school. At which point I came across this type of problem that I see to always struggle with so I am here to gain some insight on how to do these problems and what is being asked of me. The question goes as such:

"Qualitatively estimate the frequency and power of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a cellular phone during a typical phone call."

Now there are a few things I know and a few things that are given on the exam:

I know P(r)=I(4πr2) and I=1/2ε0cE2

I am also given the equation for the "Time averaged power radiated per unit solid angle" (See Jackson eqn 9.56) with Z0=377Ω

Now I have given you everything I have been given, so my question stands. Obviously there should be enough info here seeing as this is a past comprehensive exam, but I don't have the foggiest idea how to start. I strongly feel like I don't have enough info to go forward with, but I know I am wrong. Any insight or advice is strongly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
JordanD said:
"Qualitatively estimate the frequency and power of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a cellular phone during a typical phone call."
You have done nothing to answer this question. Please show us more work.

What frequencies are used for typical cell phones? What power do typical cell phones transmit? Please show more effort.

Last edited:

1. How does a cellular phone emit electromagnetic radiation?

Cellular phones emit electromagnetic radiation through their antennas, which are used to transmit and receive signals to and from cell towers. The radiation is generated by the phone's internal radiofrequency (RF) components and can be measured in terms of specific absorption rate (SAR).

2. Is electromagnetic radiation from cellular phones harmful to human health?

The current scientific consensus is that the low levels of RF radiation emitted by cellular phones are not harmful to human health. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential long-term effects of this type of radiation.

3. How do I measure the amount of electromagnetic radiation emitted by my cellular phone?

The easiest way to measure the amount of radiation emitted by a cellular phone is to check its SAR value. This information can usually be found in the phone's user manual or by searching for the specific model online. SAR values are measured in watts per kilogram (W/kg) and should be below the limit set by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

4. Are there any steps I can take to reduce my exposure to electromagnetic radiation from my cellular phone?

Some ways to reduce your exposure to electromagnetic radiation from your cellular phone include using a hands-free device, keeping your phone away from your body when not in use, and limiting the amount of time you spend on your phone. You can also choose a phone with a lower SAR value.

5. Are there any regulations in place for the amount of electromagnetic radiation emitted by cellular phones?

Yes, the FCC has set limits on the amount of RF radiation that cellular phones are allowed to emit. These limits are based on SAR values and are designed to protect the public from any potential health risks. Cellular phone manufacturers must ensure that their devices comply with these regulations before they can be sold in the United States.