Determine the energy of the electromagnetic radiation

In summary, the conversation revolves around three physics problems and the person is seeking clarification and help in solving them. The first problem involves determining the energy of electromagnetic radiation produced when an electron and positron collide. The second problem involves calculating how many stars can be created using half the energy released during the Big Bang. The third problem involves finding the mass equivalent of the kinetic energy and radiation produced by a supernova explosion.
F.B
Please i really need help I am sorry to have had to make a second thread but i really need to finish this.

2. The electron and positron each have a rest mass of 9.11 x 10^-31 kg. In a certain experiment, an electron and positron collide and vanish, leaving only electromagnetic radiation after the interaction. Each particle is moving at a speed of 0.20c relative to the laboratory before the collision. Determine the energy of the electromagnetic radiation.

First of all do i have to solve this question like a collision problem, if i do there is no after situation.

Anyways i think i have to solve for Ek.

So Et=Ek + Erest

Et=mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
Et=9.11 x 10^-31 x (3.00 x 10^8)^2/sqrt(0.96)
Et=8.37 x 10^-14
Erest = 8.2 x 10^-14
Ek= 8.37 x 10^-14 - 8.2 x 10^-14
Ek= 1.7 x 10^-15

But this answer isn't right. The books has 0.615 Mev

2. The Big Bang, which is a theory predicting the origin of the universe, is estimated to have released 1.00 x 10^68 J of energy. How many stars could half this energy create, assuming the average star's mass is 4.00 x 10^30 kg.

I did this but again my answer is different from the back of the book.

E=mc^2
m=1.00 x 10^68/(3.00 x 10^8)^2
=1.11 x 10^51

=1.11 x 10^51/4.00 x 10^30
=2.78 x 10^20 kg

The book's answer is 1.39 x 10^20 stars. What did i do wrong.

3. A supernova explosion of a star with a rest mass of 1.97 x 10^31 kg, produces 1.02 x 10^44 J of kinetic energy and radiation.
a) How many kilograms of mass are converted to energy in the explosion?

This one i have no idea how to do.

Please i really need help with all these questions i really have to get these done soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The rest mass of the electron/positron is 0.511 MeV, and that is the minimum photon energy when annihilation occurs. Just at the relativistic kinetic energy from each electron to each photon. Think total energy.

2. How many stars could half this energy create, . . . ?

3. Again assume total energy. Some of supernova's rest mass is converted to radiation and kinetic energy of the material.

What is the mass equivalent of 1.02 x 10^44 J of kinetic energy and radiation?

I would suggest approaching these questions by using the equation E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation relates the energy of an object to its mass and the speed of light.

1. For the first question, you are correct in using the equation Et=Ek+Erest. However, the values you used for the rest mass (9.11 x 10^-31 kg) and the speed (0.20c) are for the individual particles, not for both of them combined. The total mass of the system before the collision would be 2(9.11 x 10^-31 kg) = 1.82 x 10^-30 kg. Also, the velocity used in the equation should be the relative velocity between the particles, which in this case would be 0.40c (since they are moving in opposite directions). So the correct calculation would be:

Et= 1.82 x 10^-30 kg x (3.00 x 10^8 m/s)^2/sqrt(1-0.40^2)
Et= 8.19 x 10^-14 J
Erest= 9.11 x 10^-31 kg x (3.00 x 10^8 m/s)^2/sqrt(1-0.40^2)
Erest= 8.19 x 10^-14 J
Ek= 0 J

Since the particles have equal and opposite momenta, they cancel each other out and there is no kinetic energy. The total energy of the electromagnetic radiation would be 8.19 x 10^-14 J.

2. For the second question, you are correct in using the equation E=mc^2. However, you should use the total energy released by the Big Bang (1.00 x 10^68 J) and divide it by the average mass of a star (4.00 x 10^30 kg). This will give you the total number of stars that could be created from the energy released by the Big Bang. So the correct calculation would be:

N= 1.00 x 10^68 J / (4.00 x 10^30 kg x (3.00 x 10^8 m/s)^2)
N= 1.39 x 10^20 stars

3. For the third question,

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of waves. It includes a wide range of wavelengths, from very short gamma rays to very long radio waves.

2. How is the energy of electromagnetic radiation determined?

The energy of electromagnetic radiation is determined by its wavelength. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy. This relationship is described by the equation E=hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

3. What units are used to measure the energy of electromagnetic radiation?

The energy of electromagnetic radiation is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron volts (eV). In some cases, units of frequency (such as Hertz or cycles per second) may also be used.

4. How is the energy of electromagnetic radiation related to its frequency?

The energy of electromagnetic radiation is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy also increases. This relationship is described by the equation E=hν, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and ν is frequency.

5. What factors can affect the energy of electromagnetic radiation?

The energy of electromagnetic radiation can be affected by several factors, including the type of radiation (e.g. gamma rays have higher energy than radio waves), the wavelength or frequency of the radiation, and the source of the radiation (e.g. a high-powered laser will emit higher energy radiation than a light bulb).