Estimation Theory: Get Help Understanding Binomial Proportion

In summary, the conversation is about a question on estimation theory and the concept of binomial proportion. The person is seeking help and clarification on the topic, particularly in understanding the equation for binomial probability. They provide a specific example to clarify their understanding.
mike1111
I got a question on estimation theory. Can anyone explain it to me or give me a link with some tut and solutions so I can get a better understanding.

I got a maths question which i have asked for help but no one has replied yet. Since it was a statistical question I should have posted it here.

The question can be found here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=401521

I'm stuck on part (b)
The two issue I think I have with the question are that I don't understand the term "binomial proportion" and estimation theory in general. Can and one explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the "binomial proportion" just the probability the event is successful?
i.e. for 2 coin toss with 50/ 50 chance of either H or T, the binomial proportion for 2 heads is 1/4?

Is my understanding correct... or is it something else?

A binomial probability is the probability that a random sample of size n will have an outcome of x. The equation is

P(x) = n!/(k!-(n-k)!) * pk * qn-k

where k is number of outcomes you want,
p is probability of an outcome,
q is probability of an outcome not happening.

For example, suppose that there are 999 voters in the US. 599 voters were in favor for a certain candidate. If I randomly select 110 voters out of the population, the probability that 56 voters will be in favor of the candidate is

110!/(56!-(110-56)!) * .599599656 * .400400454 = 2.2345492668874894732687678194543e+103 * .599599656 *q54 =
3.632743322467059575061399533725e-13 * q54

gives me a probability of 1.2443365480583675485269518116737 e-34 :confused:

Last edited:

Related to Estimation Theory: Get Help Understanding Binomial Proportion

What is estimation theory?

Estimation theory is a branch of statistics that deals with estimating unknown parameters based on observed data. It involves using mathematical models and statistical techniques to make predictions and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample.

What is binomial proportion?

Binomial proportion is a statistical measure that represents the ratio of the number of successes in a sample to the total number of trials. It is often used to estimate the proportion of a population that possesses a certain characteristic or exhibits a specific behavior.

How is estimation theory used in binomial proportion?

In estimation theory, binomial proportion can be used to estimate the probability of success in a population based on a sample. This can be done using maximum likelihood estimation or Bayesian estimation methods.

What are some common challenges in estimating binomial proportion?

One common challenge in estimating binomial proportion is dealing with small sample sizes, as this can lead to imprecise estimates. Another challenge is determining the appropriate sample size to use for estimation, as it can greatly affect the accuracy of the estimate.

How can I get help understanding binomial proportion and estimation theory?

If you need help understanding binomial proportion and estimation theory, you can consult with a statistician or take a course on statistics. There are also online resources and textbooks available that can provide a comprehensive overview of these topics.