Ethics of Love: Is All Fair in Love & War?

• Thread starter skywolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the ethics of love are a complex and difficult subject to answer. There is no universal rule, and each situation is different.
skywolf
what are the ethics of love?
i mean, is it ethical to give someone else the option of cheating on their boyfriend/girlfriend?
or should you deny your heart?
ive heard
all is fair in love and war, but is it ethical?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you run into problems when you try to create an abstract model for a complicated thing such as a relationship.

In addition each relationship can be so much different from the next that trying to come up with a universal truth is nearly impossible.

lol,
i guess what i was looking for was advice, not an abstract answer

Well like I said to answer the question you need to know the details of the situation ;)

well, first of all, you have to look into how you would feel... that is your first reaction towards it.

love is a stonge innter human emotion and it has hidden guidelines within each of us. they may vary from person to person as it is up to interpreation, but the basic principle remains that same.

personally, i do not think it is nautal to allow your mate to have another. exculsivness. God created Adam and Eve not adam eve and john. ask yourself how you feel instctivly.

People always have the option of cheating, whether you give it to them or not. However, they deal with the possible consequences of that cheating. So, if you ask whether it is ethical to say that there will be no consequences, then I'd have to say yes it is ethical. However, if that would emotionally harm the person that is being cheated upon (even if they gave permission), then the person doing the cheating is acting unethically. It is behavior which is ethical (or not) and not emotions.

skywolf said:
...what are the ethics of love?
A man (or women) is their own best friend--thus one ought to love self the most--that is the ethics of love as presented by Aristotle in Nicomachean Ethics.

How can anyone present an actual rule for something like that? I agree with dave, if they are hurting you then it is unethical. Its up to you to communicate that to them.

skywolf said:
what are the ethics of love?
i mean, is it ethical to give someone else the option of cheating on their boyfriend/girlfriend?
or should you deny your heart?
ive heard
all is fair in love and war, but is it ethical?

If you define ethics as the social moral code of large groups of people, then, at least in the US, cheating is unethical. I think you would find that most people would view it as such, especially when presented with no other details. "Cheating" as a word describes exactly the social connotations behind subjects like bigamy in a society of monogomists.
(Man, in writing this post I'm wishing there were a less negatively connotated word than "cheat")

But morally, it's a whole new can of worms, because "morality" I think typically describes an individual's moral feelings, rather than "ethics" which is more often used (I think) in describing societal morals.

The best answer to give is that it's a question for the 3+ parties involved to answer. Morally, the reason not to have relations with others is to make your partner feel that they have unique value to you. Not to do so makes them feel less special and important. Also (more minorly) it may make you or the person you're cheating with feel bad because *they* don't want to be cheated on, and so feel as though they're being bad significant others. The desire to cheat my overcome that negativity, but it's an existent negativity nonetheless.

Hence, the real answer is it depends on how the parties involved feel, particularly the one being "cheated on". People who are more self-confident are probably less likely to feel hurt, and will be better about it than those who are more socially dependant. But you'll never find out, really. Your best bet is to ask about the situation, and gauge it as best you can.

DaveE

Related to Ethics of Love: Is All Fair in Love & War?

1. What is the definition of the "Ethics of Love"?

The "Ethics of Love" refers to the moral principles and values that guide our actions and decisions in romantic relationships. It encompasses concepts such as honesty, respect, and fairness.

2. Is it ever acceptable to lie in a relationship?

This is a highly debated question and the answer can vary depending on personal beliefs. Some may argue that small lies can be necessary to protect a partner's feelings, while others believe that honesty should always be the foundation of a healthy relationship. Ultimately, it is important to consider the impact of your actions and whether lying aligns with your personal ethical code.

3. How do cultural and societal norms influence the ethics of love?

Cultural and societal norms can play a significant role in shaping our beliefs and values about love and relationships. For example, in some cultures, arranged marriages are considered ethical while in others, it may be seen as a violation of individual freedom. It is important to critically examine these norms and determine whether they align with our own personal ethics.

4. What are the ethical implications of cheating in a relationship?

Cheating is a violation of trust and can have significant emotional consequences for both partners. It also raises questions about the ethical responsibility one has towards their partner and the impact of their actions on the relationship. In some cases, cheating may be seen as a breach of moral principles, while others may argue that it is a personal choice.

5. Is love truly fair?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively as fairness is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some may argue that love should be based on mutual respect and equality, while others may believe that it is not always fair and can involve sacrifices and compromises. Ultimately, the ethics of love may depend on individual beliefs and values.