Euclidean Algorithm: Solving x-1 = (x^3-x^2+2x-2)-(x+1)(x^2-2x+1)

In summary: So, in summary, the conversation is discussing a worked example with a focus on understanding the formula being used and its connection to the extended Euclidean algorithm. The (x+1)(x^2-2x+1) term in the formula was derived from the middle line of the previous calculation.
roam

Homework Statement

The following is a worked example, I circled around the part which I couldn't follow:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/161/untitleou.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To begin with, I can't understand why they wrote:

[tex]x-1 = \frac{1}{3}(x^3-x^2+2x-2)-\frac{1}{3}(x+1)(x^2-2x+1)[/tex]

(or [tex]3x-3 = (x^3-x^2+2x-2)-(x+1)(x^2-2x+1)[/tex])

What formula/theorem were they using here? I can't follow what is done here. :redface:

P.S. On the top it says [tex]gcd(2x^3+x^2-2x-1, x^3-x^2+2x-2)= x-1[/tex], but it previously said "the last non-zero remainder is a gcd". And when the Euclidean algorithem was applied we found that the last non-zero remainder is 3x-3 NOT x-1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
To begin with, I can't understand why they wrote:
What formula/theorem were they using here?
You're asking why it's true? Just use algebra to prove the identity!

You're asking why they knew it to be true? It's the middle line of the preceeding calculation.

You're asking why they thought it would help solve the problem? Presumably your textbook has explicitly presented a version of the extended Euclidean algorithm and is using that.

P.S. GCD's are only defined up to an invertible constant.

Hurkyl said:
You're asking why it's true? Just use algebra to prove the identity!

You're asking why they knew it to be true? It's the middle line of the preceeding calculation.

You're asking why they thought it would help solve the problem? Presumably your textbook has explicitly presented a version of the extended Euclidean algorithm and is using that.

Before they apply the algebra to prove the identity they wrote:

[tex]x-1 = \frac{1}{3}(x^3-x^2+2x-2)-\frac{1}{3}(x+1)(x^2-2x+1)[/tex]

Why? Where did the [tex](x+1)(x^2-2x+1)[/tex] term come from?

P.S. GCD's are only defined up to an invertible constant.

I think I understand, but could you explain a bit more please?

roam said:
Why? Where did the [tex](x+1)(x^2-2x+1)[/tex] term come from?

It came from the middle line of the solution to the previous example. The textbook took the 1/3 out of (1/3x+1/3), placed it into (3x^2-6x+3), and ended up with (x+1)(x^2-2x+1).

Related to Euclidean Algorithm: Solving x-1 = (x^3-x^2+2x-2)-(x+1)(x^2-2x+1)

1. What is the Euclidean Algorithm?

The Euclidean Algorithm is a method used to find the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two integers. It involves dividing the larger number by the smaller number and using the remainder to continue the process until the remainder is equal to 0.

2. How is the Euclidean Algorithm used to solve equations?

The Euclidean Algorithm can be used to solve equations by finding the GCD of the coefficients of the equation. This GCD can then be used to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

3. How do you use the Euclidean Algorithm to solve x-1 = (x^3-x^2+2x-2)-(x+1)(x^2-2x+1)?

To solve this equation, we first need to find the GCD of the coefficients of both sides of the equation. In this case, the GCD is x-1. We then divide both sides of the equation by x-1 to simplify it to x^2-2x+1 = 0. This can be easily solved by factoring or using the quadratic formula.

4. Can the Euclidean Algorithm be used to solve equations with variables?

Yes, the Euclidean Algorithm can be used to solve equations with variables. As long as the coefficients of the variables have a GCD, the algorithm can be applied to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Euclidean Algorithm to solve equations?

The Euclidean Algorithm can only be used to solve equations where the coefficients have a GCD. If the coefficients do not have a GCD, the algorithm cannot be applied and another method must be used to solve the equation.