Prove Infinitely Many Points w/ Equal Dist from x,y in Euclidean Space

• Thread starter jgens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euclidean
In summary, the problem states that for n \geq 3, x,y\in\mathbb{R}^n, ||x-y||=d>0 and r>0, there are infinitely many z\in\mathbb{R}^n such that ||x-z||=||y-z||=r if 2r>d. Through the use of Cartesian coordinates and manipulating with algebra, it can be proved that for n>2, there will always be infinitely many solutions for this problem.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]n \geq 3[/itex], [itex]x,y\in\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], [itex]||x-y||=d>0[/itex] and [itex]r>0[/itex]. Prove that if [itex]2r>d[/itex], there are infinitely many [itex]z\in\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] such that [itex]||x-z||=||y-z||=r[/itex].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I figure that no matter how large we choose [itex]n[/itex], it should always be possible to reduce the problem to the case when [itex]n=3[/itex]. Since we just have two points in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], these can just be represented by a one dimensional line. Then, we can always cut the line at [itex](x-y)2^{-1}[/itex] with a plane which is perpendicular to [itex]x-y[/itex]. Clearly, any point on this plane is at an equal distance from [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]; moreover, there must be some circle on this plane such that all the points on that circle are a distance of [itex]r[/itex] from [itex]x[/itex].

However, this reasoning is really informal (and not necessarily correct) so I was wondering if I could formalize this idea or if I'm approaching this problem with the completely wrong mindset (I think that I probably am). Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
jgens said:
However, this reasoning is really informal (and not necessarily correct)!

You can formalize it by writing explicitly, in Cartesian coordinates, the equations for your orthogonal hyperplane (it does not to be just 2-dimensional at this point). Then you write additional equations for the distance. Then you manipulate with algebra showing that for n>2 these equations always have infinitely many solutions. For this it will be enough to select two linearly independent vectors in the orthogonal hyperplane.

Related to Prove Infinitely Many Points w/ Equal Dist from x,y in Euclidean Space

1. What is "Prove Infinitely Many Points w/ Equal Dist from x,y in Euclidean Space"?

"Prove Infinitely Many Points w/ Equal Dist from x,y in Euclidean Space" refers to a mathematical concept that involves finding an infinite number of points in two-dimensional Euclidean space that are all equidistant from a given point (x,y).

2. Why is this concept important?

This concept is important because it helps to demonstrate the infinite nature of Euclidean space and its ability to contain an infinite number of points that satisfy a specific condition. It also has practical applications in geometry and other fields of mathematics.

3. How can one prove the existence of infinitely many points with equal distance from a given point in Euclidean space?

There are several ways to prove this concept, but one common method is to use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the distance between two points in Euclidean space. By setting the distance equal to a constant value and solving for the coordinates of the points, one can show that there are an infinite number of points that satisfy the condition.

4. Can this concept be extended to three-dimensional Euclidean space?

Yes, this concept can be extended to three-dimensional Euclidean space. In this case, instead of finding points that are equidistant from a point (x,y), one would find points that are equidistant from a point (x,y,z) using the distance formula for three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

Yes, this concept has various real-world applications, such as in GPS technology, where an infinite number of points on a map can be equidistant from a satellite. It is also used in architecture and design, where the concept of symmetrical and evenly-spaced points is important in creating aesthetically pleasing structures.