The Effects of the Euler Force

In summary, the Euler force is a fictitious force that arises from a rotating object undergoing a change in rotation speed. It can be explained by imagining standing on a disk initially at rest and then it starts to rotate. In this scenario, the inertia force that pushes you in the opposite direction of the rotation is known as the Euler force. It can be visualized by considering a rotating coordinate system where the centrifugal force is in one direction, the Coriolis force is repulsive, and the Euler force is perpendicular to the centrifugal force.
Mt. Nixion
Can anyone describe what the effects of the Euler force are? If you're not familar with it, it is a fictitious force that arises from a rotating object undergoing a change in rotation speed. Can someone tell me what the effects of this fictitious force are?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It should be something like this: suppose you're standing on a disk initially at rest. Then it starts to rotate, say clock-wise. At that time, the (inertia-)force you feel that is pushing you counter-clockwise is Euler force.

I'm trying to visualize it this way - if I was in a rotating coordinate system, (but unaware of it!), centrifugal force would be in one direction, coriolis would be a repulsive force (from me), and euler force would be perpendicular to centrifugal. I could be wrong, but I think it's a good question and I'm at work right now.

1. What is the Euler force?

The Euler force, also known as the inertial force, is a fictitious force that arises when an object is rotating or accelerating in a non-inertial reference frame. It is named after Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler who first described it in the 18th century.

2. How does the Euler force affect objects?

The Euler force acts perpendicular to the direction of motion of an object in a rotating or accelerating reference frame. It causes objects to experience a centrifugal effect, pushing them away from the center of rotation or acceleration. This can affect the stability and trajectory of objects in motion.

3. What are some real-world examples of the Euler force?

The Euler force can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when a plane turns or banks, causing passengers to feel a sideways force, or when a car takes a sharp turn and objects inside the car appear to be pushed outward. It is also a crucial consideration in the design of satellites and other spacecraft.

4. Can the Euler force be measured?

The Euler force is a fictitious force and cannot be directly measured. However, its effects can be accounted for in calculations and simulations in order to accurately predict the behavior of objects in rotating or accelerating reference frames.

5. How does the Euler force relate to other forces?

The Euler force is often compared to the Coriolis force, as both are fictitious forces that arise in non-inertial reference frames. However, the two forces act in different directions and have different effects on objects in motion. The Euler force is also related to the centrifugal force, which is the outward force experienced by objects in circular motion.