Proving the Divisibility of the Euler Function: A Number Theory Problem

In summary, you show that if a number d divides a number n, then \varphi (d) divides \varphi (n) .
BSMSMSTMSPHD
The Euler Function [tex] \varphi (n) [/tex] is defined as the number of natural numbers less than n that are relatively prime to n. That is, [tex] \varphi (n) = | \{ a \in \mathbb{N} | a < n [/tex] and [tex] gcd (a, n) = 1 \} | [/tex]

I have been asked to show that if a number d divides a number n, then [tex] \varphi (d) [/tex] divides [tex] \varphi (n) [/tex]

So far, I have that there must exist and integer k such that n = kd. Therefore, [tex] \varphi (n) = \varphi (kd) [/tex]. However, I cannot deduce from here that this equals [tex] \varphi (k) \varphi (d) [/tex], since this is only true when k and d are relatively prime, which is not guaranteed.

So, I have tried writing k and d as products of primes and going from there, but I seem to be hitting a wall. Can I get a hint as to where I should look?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know [tex] \varphi (n) \varphi (d) = \varphi (nd) [/tex] if n and d are relatively prime. Then note that if p and q are different prime numbers, p^k and q^k are relatively prime. So you can write them as a product of primes, split the euler functions up, and then bring them back together.

Okay, so then I was on the right track. I just got all messed up with my p's and q's. Thanks for the response!

Actually, probably a better way to do it is to use the expansion where phi(n) = n * (1-1/p1) * ... * (1-1/pj) for the primes p1 ... pj that divide n. You have n = kd, and the factor of k either introduces new prime factors or it doesn't. If it doesn't then you've got your answer, otherwise let the new prime factors be pi...pj, and let m = pi* ... * pj. Then you have n = m * (kd/m) and you can simplify the expansion.

Last edited:
Okay, here's what I came up with. I scratched the idea of looking at k and d, because I kept running into walls with that. Instead, I decided to examine n and d.

I know this proof may be longer than necessary, but at this point, I'll be happy with just plain correct. Your comments would be very much appreciated (it's due tomorrow morning).

We start with the fact that d divides n and write n in its prime factorization:

[tex] n = p_1 ^{ \alpha_1} p_2 ^{ \alpha_2} \cdot \cdot \cdot p_s ^{ \alpha_s} [/tex]

where [tex] \alpha _i \in \mathbb{N} [/tex]

Now, introduce indexing set A, defined as: [tex] A = \{ k \in \mathbb{N} | 1 \leq k \leq s \} [/tex]

So, more concisely, [tex] n = \prod_{i \in A} p_i ^{ \alpha_i} [/tex]

Next, introduce indexing set B, defined as: [tex] B = \{ m \in A | p_m [/tex] divides [tex] d \} [/tex]

Note here that B is a subset of A, since any prime that divides d must also divide n.

Now we can write the prime factorization of d as: [tex] d = \prod_{j \in B} p_j ^{ \beta_j} [/tex]
where [tex] 0 < \beta _j \leq \alpha_i [/tex] [tex] \forall i = j [/tex]

Now, we are trying to show that [tex] \varphi (d) [/tex] divides [tex] \varphi (n) [/tex]. This will follow if we show that [tex] \frac {\varphi (n)}{\varphi (d)} [/tex] is an integer.

Thus, we evaluate as follows:

[tex] \frac {\varphi (n)}{\varphi (d)} = \frac { \varphi (\prod_{i \in A} p_i ^{ \alpha_i})}{\varphi (\prod_{j \in B} p_j ^{ \beta_j})} = \frac { \prod_{i \in A} \varphi (p_i ^{ \alpha_i})}{\prod_{j \in B} \varphi_ (p_j ^{ \beta_j})} = \frac { \prod_{i \in A} p_i ^{ \alpha_i - 1} (p_i - 1)}{\prod_{j \in B} p_j ^{ \beta_j - 1} (p_j - 1)} [/tex]

Now, the value of this quotient depends on whether each prime divides d and n, or only divides n.

I am conjecturing that the above quotient equals the following statement:

[tex] \frac {\varphi (n)}{\varphi (d)} = \prod_{j \in B} p_j ^{ \alpha_j - \beta_j } \cdot \prod_{i \in A \backslash B} p_i ^{ \alpha_i - 1} (p_i - 1) [/tex]

Furthermore, I claim that this is an integer since it is the product of integers. So it would seem that I have proven the original claim.

Okay - how'd I do? Be gentle...

Last edited:

1. What is the Euler function and why is it important in number theory?

The Euler function, also known as the totient function, is a number theory function that counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given number that are relatively prime to that number. It is important in number theory because it helps in solving various problems related to prime numbers and modular arithmetic.

2. What is the divisibility rule for the Euler function?

The divisibility rule for the Euler function states that if two positive integers, n and m, are relatively prime, then the Euler function of their product is equal to the product of their Euler functions. In other words, if gcd(n, m) = 1, then φ(nm) = φ(n)φ(m).

3. How do you prove the divisibility of the Euler function?

The divisibility of the Euler function can be proved using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be uniquely represented as the product of prime numbers. By using this theorem, we can show that the Euler function of a product of two relatively prime numbers is equal to the product of their Euler functions.

4. Can you provide an example of proving the divisibility of the Euler function?

For example, let us consider n = 12 and m = 5. Both of these numbers are relatively prime, as gcd(12, 5) = 1. The Euler function of 12 is φ(12) = 4, and the Euler function of 5 is φ(5) = 4. Therefore, by the divisibility rule, φ(12*5) = φ(12)φ(5) = 4*4 = 16. Thus, we have proved that φ(12*5) is divisible by both φ(12) and φ(5).

5. What are some real-world applications of the divisibility of the Euler function?

The divisibility of the Euler function has many applications in number theory and cryptography. It is used in the RSA encryption algorithm, which is widely used in secure communication over the internet. It is also used in determining the number of primitive roots of a prime number, which has applications in coding theory and computer science.