Euler - Lagrange Equation(changing variable)

In summary: Looks ok to me. It does get confusing the way you switch between the ∫f(x, y, y')dx form and the ∫f(y, x, x')dy form. Pls fix on one.
Erbil
Create the Euler-Lagrange equation for the following questions (if it's necessary change the variables).

Homework Statement

$$\tag{1}\int _{y_{1}}^{y2}\dfrac {x^{'}{2}} {\sqrt {x^{'}{2}+x^{2}}}dy$$

$$\tag{2}\int _{x_{1}}^{x_{2}}y^{3/2}ds $$

$$\tag{3} \int \dfrac {y.y'} {1+yy{'}}dx $$

Homework Equations

$$ \dfrac {d} {dy}\left( \dfrac {\partial F} {\partial x^{'}}\right) -\dfrac {\partial F} {\partial x}=0 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have an idea about 1 and 3.But here it's what I have tried for 2.

2) $$\int _{x_{1}}^{x_{2}}y^{3/2}ds = \int _{x_{1}}^{x_{2}}y^{3/2}(1+y'^{2})^{1/2}= \int _{y_{1}}^{y2}\ (1+x^{'2}) (y^{3/2})dy $$
So our Euler equation is;
$$ \dfrac {d} {dy}\left( \dfrac {\partial F} {\partial x^{'}}\right) -\dfrac {\partial F} {\partial x}=0 $$

*Then I have to find Y' or X'.But I did not take a differential equations course yet,we use Beltrami identity to calculate the extremum points.

Physics news on Phys.org
Erbil said:
here it's what I have tried for 2.

2) $$\int _{x_{1}}^{x_{2}}y^{3/2}ds = \int _{x_{1}}^{x_{2}}y^{3/2}(1+y'^{2})^{1/2}= \int _{y_{1}}^{y2}\ (1+x^{'2}) (y^{3/2})dy $$
You dropped a sqrt: $$F(y, x, x') = (1+x'^2) ^\frac12 y^\frac32 $$
So our Euler equation is;
So what do you get when you substitute for F?

haruspex said:
You dropped a sqrt: $$F(y, x, x') = (1+x'^2) ^\frac12 y^\frac32 $$

So what do you get when you substitute for F?

I think it will be ;

$$F(y, x, x') = (1+x'^2)/x' ^\frac12 y^\frac32 $$

Erbil said:
I think it will be ;

$$F(y, x, x') = (1+x'^2)/x' ^\frac12 y^\frac32 $$

How do you get that? Isn't F the function in the integral wrt y?

haruspex said:
How do you get that? Isn't F the function in the integral wrt y?

Before that,I would like to ask can I use the method what I've linked for solve these problems?

Erbil said:
Before that,I would like to ask can I use the method what I've linked for solve these problems?
Looks ok to me. It does get confusing the way you switch between the ∫f(x, y, y')dx form and the ∫f(y, x, x')dy form. Pls fix on one.

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical formula that is used to describe the behavior of a system or function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to find the optimal path or trajectory for a system to follow.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the action (a measure of the system's energy) over a given time period. By taking the derivative of the action with respect to the system's variables, the Euler-Lagrange equation is obtained.

3. What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is significant because it provides a way to find the optimal path or trajectory for a system to follow, based on the principle of least action. This allows scientists and engineers to solve complex problems and optimize systems in a wide range of fields.

4. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation used to change variables?

The Euler-Lagrange equation can be used to change variables by substituting in a new variable and using the chain rule to express the derivatives in terms of the new variable. This can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve for the optimal path or trajectory.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and optimization. It is used to solve problems such as finding the shortest path between two points, optimizing energy consumption in a system, and determining the most efficient production schedule for a company. It is also used in the development of control systems for robotics and in the study of fluid dynamics.