1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions European PhD with UK Mphys

Tags:
  1. Oct 7, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I am currently studying for an MPhys in the UK. In the UK this is considered essentially equivalent to an MSc and a BSc although the structure is a little different: the first 2 years are the exact same as a bachelors course, then my 3rd year I am currently spending in Denmark doing mostly masters courses. It is not usual to do a "bachelors project" but I do have the option to choose do that in Denmark. The fourth year is half a masters thesis and half courses.

I intend to do a PhD in Europe (either Denmark or the Netherlands) but I am concerned about the fact I have only been studying for 3+1 years whereas most people in Europe do 3+2. I have emailed a few professors listing PhDs in both countries and they have just replied saying they "need an MSc". I'm not sure if they are not aware of the MPhys or they don't think it is good enough, but either way I am worried about being instantly disregarded at the application process.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or any advice with how to increase the chance of being accepted?

In the worst case scenario I could apply to do an additional European masters but I am also concerned that since I will have done the MPhys I won't be accepted into scholarship programs!

Thank you,
    Cameron

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you ask explicitly about MPhys?

Do you know someone who knows soneone in DK/NL? I don’t know your field, but if it is reasonably connected that could help. Recommendations are more important than a year of courses.

You still have to check the university websites (or ask via mail) for formal requirements - that is not the task of the professors.

4. Oct 8, 2017 #3
    I did ask explicitly about MPhys, but I don't know whether they fully understood what the MPhys is (although that has the same consequences as if it is not equivalent to MSc).

And I know people in one university in the Netherlands but I'm not sure if it is the field I want to go into and also it is not where I want to live, either way I will ask my tutor to ask them, hopefully it will give some insight

5. Dec 4, 2017 #4
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted