Eurosciences junior chemical element question

In summary, the conversation is about the stability of an element with an atomic number of 2046 and its electronic layers of valence. The speaker is seeking help with this problem for a competition and the other person mentions the use of quantum numbers and Aufbau principle. The speaker then questions the applicability of these rules for an element with such a high atomic number. The conversation concludes with the idea that the rules should still be applied, even if it may be tedious.
Creaver
You have to show your attempts at answering the question, this is a forum policy. Also, all homework like questions should go to homework forum.
Hello,
Imagine a chemical element of the periodic classification with 2046 as atomic number.
The highest physicists will tell you that such an element is totally unstable.
It prevents not at all the rule of Klechkowski from applying to the atom of this element..

Would you know how to give me the filling of its last two electronic layers of valence ?

For Fe, it would be 4s2 3d6.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I apologise in advance about the spelling. I'm french student...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.
No, it's a problem which is a part of a competition: eurosciences junior.
You can help me ? :wink:
That isn't in the correct topic. You can change it please ?

Edit: OK !

It is a standard homework question, it resurfaces now and then at the forum.

It is all about quantum numbers and Aufbau principle. Do you know them?

Yes, I understand for an element with a "little" number atomic, but there...

Really for eurosciences junior ! It's harder... ?:)

Sure it is harder, wouldn't make sense if it were easy. It is meant to separate the men from the boys :wink:

As I said - it is about applying exactly the same rules. Tedious? Perhaps. Difficult? No.

Borek said:
Sure it is harder, wouldn't make sense if it were easy.
Does it make sense to apply this rule completely outside its range of validity?

Related to Eurosciences junior chemical element question

1. What is a chemical element?

A chemical element is a pure substance that is made up of atoms with the same number of protons in their nucleus. They are the building blocks of all matter and cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical reactions.

2. How many chemical elements are there?

There are currently 118 known chemical elements, with the most recent element, Oganesson, being officially recognized in 2016. However, some of these elements are unstable and only exist for a short period of time before decaying into other elements.

3. What is the periodic table of elements?

The periodic table of elements is a tabular arrangement of the chemical elements according to their atomic structure and properties. It is organized in rows called periods and columns called groups, which group elements with similar properties together.

4. How are chemical elements named?

Chemical elements can be named based on a variety of factors, such as the scientist who discovered it, the place it was discovered, or its physical and chemical properties. Some elements have names that reflect their origins, such as Americium (named after America) and Germanium (named after Germany).

5. Why are chemical elements important?

Chemical elements are crucial to understanding the composition and behavior of all matter in the universe. They are used in various industries, such as medicine, technology, and energy production. They also play a vital role in biological processes and are essential for sustaining life.