1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eurosciences junior chemical element question

1. Dec 29, 2015 #1
    • You have to show your attempts at answering the question, this is a forum policy. Also, all homework like questions should go to homework forum.
    Hello,
    Imagine a chemical element of the periodic classification with 2046 as atomic number.
    The highest physicists will tell you that such an element is totally unstable.
    It prevents not at all the rule of Klechkowski from applying to the atom of this element..

Would you know how to give me the filling of its last two electronic layers of valence ?

For Fe, it would be 4s2 3d6.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I apologise in advance about the spelling. I'm french student...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2015 #2
    Welcome, is this homework?

4. Dec 29, 2015 #3
    Thanks.
    No, it's a problem which is a part of a competition: eurosciences junior.
    You can help me ? :wink:
    That isn't in the correct topic. You can change it please ?

Edit: OK !

5. Dec 29, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is a standard homework question, it resurfaces now and then at the forum.

It is all about quantum numbers and Aufbau principle. Do you know them?

6. Dec 29, 2015 #5
    Yes, I understand for an element with a "little" number atomic, but there...

7. Dec 29, 2015 #6
    Really for eurosciences junior ! It's harder... ?:)

8. Dec 30, 2015 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sure it is harder, wouldn't make sense if it were easy. It is meant to separate the men from the boys :wink:

As I said - it is about applying exactly the same rules. Tedious? Perhaps. Difficult? No.

9. Jan 8, 2016 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

Does it make sense to apply this rule completely outside its range of validity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted