Evaluate Integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9: ln3 Calculation and Explanation

  • Thread starter Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
143
[tex] \int_1^9 {\frac{1}{{2x}}\,dx}[/tex]

[tex] F(x) = \frac{{\ln \left| x \right|}}{2}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{{\ln \left| 9 \right|}}{2} - \frac{{\ln \left| 1 \right|}}{2} = \frac{{\ln \left| 9 \right|}}{2} = \ln 3 [/tex]
The answer ln3 came from the back of the book. I realize from using my calculator that ln9 / 2 = ln3 , but I'm not sure why. I guess I forgot my rules of ln.

Also, since the anti-derivate section gives 1/x as ln abs(x), was I correct in carrying the absolute value brackets to the ln abs(9) / 2 ? Why did the back of the book drop the absolute value brackets from the answer?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the absolute value of 3 is 3.
 
Also ln(9)=ln(3^2)=2*ln(3), since ln(a^b)=b*ln(a).
 
That makes sense. I will only need the abs brackets around a variable. If it is a fixed number, just get rid of the minus sign if any, and the brackets...

Thanks... the toughest part about this calculus is remembering the all the pre-calc!
 
radou said:
Recall that a*ln(x) = ln (a^x).

Edit: ooops, late.
Actually, I recall it as a*ln(x) = ln(x^a). :wink: