1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Evaluate integral of second order differential

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate
    [tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{1}{r}\frac{d^{2}f}{d\varphi^{2}}d\varphi[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

I get the integral as

[tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{df}{d\varphi}[/tex]

Not sure how to evaluate this.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2
    Why don't you do a simple one first. Say:

[tex]f(x)=x^3+2x[/tex]

so that:

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=3x^2+2[/tex]

and so if I want to integrate:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{df}{dx}dx=\int_0^{2\pi} (3x^2+2)dx=(x^3+2x)\biggr|_0^{2\pi}=f(2\pi)-f(0)[/tex]

edit: so I see you got that part. Then it's just the first derivative at the end points right? So just write it as such:

[tex]\frac{df}{d\phi}\biggr|_{0}^{2\pi}[/tex]

4. Aug 9, 2010 #3
    Thanks for quick response. (I had some terrible trouble with Latex, I don't know if other users were seeing what I was, but when I tried to preview my post it would not refresh the Latex even though I had changed the coding.)

Is there not any way that I can take this further. This is actually a small part of a larger problem in which I have to show that this integral is negligible.

Hey, I think I get it now! The function is defined on a disk, so it must be the same at 0 and 2 pi. Therefore this term is negligible.

Does that sound right?

5. Aug 9, 2010 #4
    I'd say if the derivative is analytic throughout the disk and you're integrating over a closed contour, then the integral is zero.

6. Aug 9, 2010 #5
    Thanks. This is part of a problem on harmonic functions (I still don't really know what they are) -- I guess that term puts some constraints on the function, hopefully the ones you mentioned above.

Cheers

7. Aug 9, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is a known problem that has yet to be fixed. The problem seems to be that when you preview a post with LaTeX in it, the previewer grabs whatever is in a cache somewhere, so if you have made changes, they won't show up in a preview. The only way around this that I know is to refresh the page after you have clicked Preview Post.

8. Aug 10, 2010 #7
    [tex]\sqrt{Thanks Mark}[/tex]

Thant trick works for me! :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook