Evaluate Problems using fluid dynamics

In summary, the water jet exerts a force of 87N on a flat plate at an unknown distance. Assuming no frictions and a steady flow, this force would result in a velocity of 7.11 * V1.)
RMalt
I have a diagram similar to the following. Water entering the larger end is at 20degreesC.

1. The larger end has a diameter of 8cm and Area 50.26cm2.
  2. The small side has a diameter of 3cm and Area 7.0685cm2.
  3. The water jet exerts a force of 87N on a flat plate at an unknown distance.
  4. Assuming no frictions and a steady flow
  5. Liquid is water
Calculate the velocity at nozzle exit.
VenturiFlow.png

Homework Equations

+ ∗∗+ /∗∗ = t

p1 - p2 = density/2 (v2 ^2 - v1^2)
https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/5867d9ef7ba2631627c12a000ec0096b9550c390

P = F/A

A1V1 = A2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the pressure at the smaller end using P=F/A . P2 = 12..3N/cm2

Using A1V1 = A2V2 I know that V2 = 7.11 * V1

I have inputted my values in the Bernoulli Equation p1 - p2 = density/2 (v2 ^2 - v1^2) , however I am ending up with both velocities as unknowns and also P1 is unknown.

I am getting stuck when I come to calculate Pressure at point 1 and Velocity at Point 2.

Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you currently learning about macroscopic momentum balances by any chance?

Chestermiller said:
Are you currently learning about macroscopic momentum balances by any chance?

No, we have covered the Bernoulli equation, continuity of flow, the Pitot tube and the Venturi Meter.

It the smaller end open to the air?

Yes it is. I will try to update the picture of my question paper.

Attachments

• 16117894_10206371889014876_33906205_n.jpg
    16117894_10206371889014876_33906205_n.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 495
RMalt said:
Yes it is. I will try to update the picture of my question paper.
So, if the exit pressure is 0 Pa gauge, how do you interpret "The water jet exerts a force of 87N at the smaller end."?

Chestermiller said:
So, if the exit pressure is 0 Pa gauge, how do you interpret "The water jet exerts a force of 87N at the smaller end."?

I must have falsely interpreted my question. That was one of my mistakes that I am realising now. The 87 N is exerted on the flat plate which is a completely different story. I will update my question. I apologise for misinterpreting the question.

RMalt said:
I must have falsely interpreted my question. That was one of my mistakes that I am realising now. The 87 N is exerted on the flat plate which is a completely different story. I will update my question. I apologise for misinterpreting the question.
No big deal.

Chestermiller said:
the force is due to the pressure of moving fluid there
F=P*A

I still cannot use the continuity of flow theorem A1/A2 = V1/V2 or Bernoulli's equation as I do not know any velocity or Pressure at the wide end.

akshay86 said:
the force is due to the pressure of moving fluid there
F=P*A
The OP already stated that the exit pressure is zero.

RMalt said:
I still cannot use the continuity of flow theorem A1/A2 = V1/V2 or Bernoulli's equation as I do not know any velocity or Pressure at the wide end.
The difficulty is interpreting what they mean by "The water jet exerts a force of 87N at the smaller end." I would interpret this as the force that the flowing fluid exerts on the body of the nozzle. But, if this is the correct interpretation, then to get what you want will require using a momentum balance on the flow in addition to the Bernoulli equation.

RMalt said:
pressure on the flat plate where water hits,F/A2=p2+density/2(v2^2) (when P by air=0(considering plate near to exit))

Likes RMalt
akshay86 said:
pressure on the flat plate where water hits,F/A2=p2+density/2(v2^2) (when P by air=0(considering plate near to exit))
This is certainly also a reasonable interpretation, if it is in agreement with the actual problem geometry.

For part (a) I don't think the Bernoulli Eq plays a role. The force on the plate is related to the rate of loss of momentum of the stream of water as it hits the plate.

akshay86 said:

So I end up with : 12.3 = p2 + 1000/2(V2^2) .

Should P2 be taken as 0 in this case since it is at atmospheric pressure ?

I came across this video while doing research however it does not match with the formula I was given earlier on.

Can anyone confirm if this video is correct ?

The video derives the correct expression for the force on the plate in terms of ##\rho##, ##v## and the cross-sectional area ##A## of the stream.

(At the end of the video (at time 9:40), he forgot to divide the change in momentum by the time in order to express the force.)

Likes RMalt
TSny said:
The video derives the correct expression for the force on the plate in terms of ##\rho##, ##v## and the cross-sectional area ##A## of the stream.

(At the end of the video (at time 9:40), he forgot to divide the change in momentum by the time in order to express the force.)

Thanks for your insight on this matter. This means that ,F/A2=p2+density/2(v2^2) (given earlier) is incorrect ? Or am I still missing something here?

TSny said:

The equation I get using a momentum balance is $$F=\rho v^2 A$$

Likes RMalt
RMalt said:
Thanks for your insight on this matter. This means that ,F/A2=p2+density/2(v2^2) (given earlier) is incorrect ? Or am I still missing something here?
I don't think this formula is relevant to relating the force on the plate to the speed of the fluid hitting the plate.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. In the video, this is obtained at time 7:20.

Chestermiller said:

Using this equation the velocity will be really small ! F=ρv2A

87 = 1000 * v2 *7.0685

V2 = 0.111 cm/s . Does a value of this magnetude make sense ?

RMalt said:
Using this equation the velocity will be really small ! F=ρv2A

87 = 1000 * v2 *7.0685

V2 = 0.111 cm/s . Does a value of this magnetude make sense ?
Watch your units.

TSny said:
Watch your units.
I get units of force

Chestermiller said:
I get units of force
Sorry, Chet. I meant to quote RmalT. I corrected it. o:)

v^2 = F/(density x A)

v^2 = 87/(1000 x 7.01 x10-4 )

v = 11.1 m/sMy area is in m sqaured

RMalt said:
v^2 = F/(density x A)

v^2 = 87/(1000 x 7.01 x10-4 )

v = 11.1 m/sMy area is in m sqaured
Looks good.

Likes RMalt
Thanks all for your help ! Now, on to the next questions ! :wink::nb)

TSny said:
For part (a) I don't think the Bernoulli Eq plays a role. The force on the plate is related to the rate of loss of momentum of the stream of water as it hits the plate.
but water also exert pressure on the plate contributing to the force

akshay86 said:
but water also exert pressure on the plate contributing to the force
As I see it, the only force from the water acting on the plate is the force due to the water hitting the plate. The video in post #17 shows how to calculate this force.

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, flow and interact with their surroundings. It involves understanding the physical properties and behavior of fluids, as well as the mathematical equations that govern their motion.

2. What types of problems can be evaluated using fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics can be applied to a wide range of problems, including fluid flow in pipes and channels, aerodynamics of airplanes and cars, weather patterns, and ocean currents. It is also used in engineering and design to optimize the performance of various systems and devices.

3. How is fluid dynamics used to solve problems?

Fluid dynamics uses mathematical equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, to describe the motion of fluids. These equations can be solved using numerical methods and computer simulations to predict the behavior of fluids in different scenarios. Experimental methods, such as wind tunnels and flow visualization techniques, are also used to validate these predictions.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in the design of cars, airplanes, and ships to improve their aerodynamics and fuel efficiency. It is also crucial in the design of pipelines, pumps, and other fluid transportation systems. Weather forecasting and climate modeling also rely on fluid dynamics principles to predict and understand atmospheric conditions.

5. What are some current challenges in fluid dynamics research?

One of the current challenges in fluid dynamics research is understanding and predicting turbulent flows, which are chaotic and difficult to model accurately. Another area of active research is the development of more advanced numerical methods and algorithms to solve complex fluid dynamics problems. Additionally, there is ongoing research to apply fluid dynamics principles to new areas, such as biomedical engineering and renewable energy technologies.