Evaluate Sum of $$2(x_m-x_0)-3(y_n-y_0)$$ Homework

• Thread starter DryRun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the given expression can be simplified by factoring out n and m from the inner and outer summations respectively. This is because the terms indexed with i and j are independent of each other, and when applying the j sum, they will get added to themselves n times, resulting in a factor of n. Similarly, when applying the i sum, they will get added to themselves m times, resulting in a factor of m. Therefore, the simplified expression is equal to 2n(x_m-x_0)-3m(y_n-y_0).
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

$$\sum_{i=1}^{m} \sum_{j=1}^{n}[2(x_i-x_{i-1})-3(y_j-y_{j-1})]$$

Homework Equations

Multiple-sigma notation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I agree this seems like basic summation stuff, but i do not agree with the given answer. So, here is what I've done.

$$\sum_{i=1}^{m} \sum_{j=1}^{n}[2(x_i-x_{i-1})-3(y_j-y_{j-1})]
\\=2\sum_{i=1}^{m} (x_i-x_{i-1})-3\sum_{j=1}^{n}(y_j-y_{j-1})
\\=2(x_m-x_0)-3(y_n-y_0)$$

However, the given answer for this problem is:
$$2n(x_m-x_0)-3m(y_n-y_0)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the partition of the interval is? Was there an interval given in the question?

sharks said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Multiple-sigma notation.

I agree this seems like basic summation stuff, but i do not agree with the given answer. So, here is what I've done.

The terms that are indexed with i are independent of j. So when you apply the j sum they will get added to themselves n times. So they will pick up a factor of n. Similarly for the terms indexed with j.

sharks said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Multiple-sigma notation.

You're skipping some steps above.

After the first line you should have this:
$$ \sum_{i=1}^{m} \left(\sum_{j=1}^{n}[2(x_i-x_{i-1}] - \sum_{j=1}^{n}[3(y_j-y_{j-1})]\right)$$
The first sum isn't affected by j, so will simplify to n * the expression being summed. Something similar happens for the outer summation.

sharks said:

Zondrina said:
Do you know what the partition of the interval is? Was there an interval given in the question?

Yes, there are two intervals given, but in this case, the answer still wouldn't be correct, so i omitted that part from the stated problem in the 1st post. Anyway, here they are:

Let ##P_1 = \{ x_0, x_1, x_2,..., x_m \} ## be a partition of ##[a_1, a_2]##
Let ##P_2 = \{ y_0, y_1, y_2,..., y_n \} ## be a partition of ##[b_1, b_2]##

Dick said:
The terms that are indexed with i are independent of j. So when you apply the j sum they will get added to themselves n times. So they will pick up a factor of n. Similarly for the terms indexed with j.

That just cleared up all my confusion! Clear and concise explanation. Thanks, Dick!

Mark44 said:
You're skipping some steps above.

After the first line you should have this:
$$ \sum_{i=1}^{m} \left(\sum_{j=1}^{n}[2(x_i-x_{i-1}] - \sum_{j=1}^{n}[3(y_j-y_{j-1})]\right)$$
The first sum isn't affected by j, so will simplify to n * the expression being summed. Something similar happens for the outer summation.

I had intentionally skipped those steps, as all the terms in i are independent of j, and all the terms in j are independent of i. So, in the expansion, i had wrongly assumed that expanding all the i terms with respect to j and all the j terms with respect to i, would give 1. Thanks for the help.

Related to Evaluate Sum of $$2(x_m-x_0)-3(y_n-y_0)$$ Homework

1. What is the purpose of evaluating the sum in this homework?

The purpose of evaluating the sum in this homework is to determine the total value of the expression, which involves subtracting the difference between two variables (x_m and x_0) and another difference between two variables (y_n and y_0). This can help in solving mathematical problems or understanding the relationship between the variables.

2. How do I evaluate the sum in this homework?

To evaluate the sum in this homework, you need to substitute the given values for the variables (x_m, x_0, y_n, and y_0) into the expression and then simplify it using the order of operations (PEMDAS). This will give you the final numerical value of the sum.

3. What are the possible values of x_m, x_0, y_n, and y_0 in this homework?

The values of x_m, x_0, y_n, and y_0 can vary depending on the context of the homework problem. They could be any real numbers, fractions, or even variables themselves. It is important to pay attention to the given values in the homework and use them correctly in the expression.

4. Is there a specific formula to evaluate this sum?

No, there is no specific formula to evaluate this sum. It is an expression involving the subtraction of two differences, which can be simplified using the order of operations. However, there may be specific formulas that can be used if the variables have a particular relationship or if the expression has a specific pattern.

5. Can I use a calculator to evaluate this sum?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate this sum. However, it is always recommended to try and solve it manually first to understand the concept better. Also, make sure to follow the correct order of operations when using a calculator to get the accurate result.