What Is the Value of $\tan^2 a + 2\tan^2 b$ Given the Trigonometric Condition?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks for the value of $\tan^2 a+2\tan^2 b$ when $a$ and $b$ satisfy the trigonometric equality $2\sin a \sin b+3\cos b+6\cos a \sin b=7$. Through analysis, it is found that the equation only holds when both $\cos a = 3\sqrt{40}/20$ and $\cos b = 1/3$ are satisfied. This results in the solution $\tan^2 a+2\tan^2 b = 9$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Evaluate $\tan^2 a+2\tan^2 b$ if $a$ and $b$ satisfy the trigonometric equality $2\sin a \sin b+3\cos b+6\cos a \sin b=7$.
This is an unsolved problem I found @ AOPS.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Evaluate $\tan^2 a+2\tan^2 b$ if $a$ and $b$ satisfy the trigonometric equality $2\sin a \sin b+3\cos b+6\cos a \sin b=7$.
[sp]Outline solution: Write the equation as $2\sin a + 6\cos a = \dfrac{7 - 3\cos b}{\sin b}$. The maximum of the absolute value of the left side is $\sqrt{40}$, occurring when $\cos a = 3\sqrt{40}/20$ (and therefore $\tan a = \pm1/3$). The minimum of the absolute value of the right side is also $\sqrt{40}$, occurring when $\cos b = 1/3$ (and therefore $\tan b = \pm\sqrt{40}/3$). So the equation only holds when both those conditions are satisfied, in other words $\tan^2 a+2\tan^2 b = \dfrac19 + \dfrac{80}9 = 9.$

[DESMOS=-10,10,-10,10]2\sin x\ +\ 6\cos x;\frac{\left(7\ -\ 3\cos x\right)}{\sin x}[/DESMOS]
[/sp]

Thanks a ton for your constant participation to my "Unsolved Challenge" and of course, for your insightful and beautiful solutions, Opalg!

If I understand what you are doing then that would mean the max and mins of the relevant graphs are the same, thus the LHS and RHS overlap at a point. But the graph shows that that doesn't happen??

-Dan

topsquark said:
If I understand what you are doing then that would mean the max and mins of the relevant graphs are the same, thus the LHS and RHS overlap at a point. But the graph shows that that doesn't happen??

-Dan

The graph, and supporting algebra, suggests that there is at least one point $(a,b)$ where $a\ne b$ such that:

\(\displaystyle 2\sin(a)+6\cos(a)=7\csc(b)-3\cot(b)\)

topsquark said:

-Dan
[sp]That had me fooled too, for a long time. I assumed it meant that there were no solutions to the problem. The explanation (as Mark points out) is that the graph shows two functions of a single variable $x$, but the problem refers to two separate variables $a$ and $b$. So it does not matter that the functions attain their extreme values at different points.[/sp]

Related to What Is the Value of $\tan^2 a + 2\tan^2 b$ Given the Trigonometric Condition?

1. What does "tan² a + 2tan² b" mean?

"tan² a + 2tan² b" is an expression that involves the trigonometric functions tangent (tan) and square (²). The expression is essentially asking you to evaluate the squared tangent of angle a plus two times the squared tangent of angle b.

2. How do I evaluate this expression?

To evaluate "tan² a + 2tan² b", you will need to know the values of angles a and b. Once you have these values, you can use a calculator or a trigonometric table to find the values of the tangents of these angles. Then, simply substitute these values into the expression and solve for the result.

3. Can this expression be simplified?

Yes, "tan² a + 2tan² b" can be simplified. By using the trigonometric identity tan² x = sec² x - 1, we can rewrite the expression as (sec² a - 1) + 2(sec² b - 1). This can be further simplified to 3sec² a + 2sec² b - 3.

4. What is the importance of evaluating this expression?

Evaluating "tan² a + 2tan² b" can be important in a variety of situations. For example, if you are working on a mathematical or scientific problem that involves angles and trigonometric functions, this expression may need to be evaluated to find a solution. Additionally, understanding how to evaluate this expression can help you better understand and solve more complex mathematical expressions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when evaluating this expression?

One common mistake to avoid when evaluating "tan² a + 2tan² b" is forgetting to convert angles from degrees to radians. Since most calculators and trigonometric tables use radians, it is important to make sure your angles are in the correct units before substituting them into the expression. Additionally, be careful when using the trigonometric identities to simplify the expression, as a simple mistake can lead to an incorrect solution.