Evaluate the Klein-Gordon action

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the Klein-Gordon action in P&S, p. 287. The action is shown to have a surface term that can be dropped, and a detailed calculation of the first part of the integral is requested. The person eventually finds a reference for the evaluation in Mark Srednicki's "Quantum Field Theory", p. 55. A draft version of the book can be found on Srednicki's homepage.
auditor
[SOLVED] Evaluate the Klein-Gordon action

I'm interested in evaluating the Klein-Gordon action in P&S, p. 287. It goes as follows
[tex]
S_0 = \frac{1}{2} \int d^4 x \! \phi \left( - \partial^2 -m^2 \right) \phi + \left(\text{surface term} \right)
[/tex]
The surface terms drops out, that's fine. I would like to see a detailed calculation of the first part of the integral. Anyone to the rescue?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I came to my own rescue, it seems (or rather Mark Srednicki did). For reference, the evaluation is done in his "Quantum Field Theory", p. 55. A draft version may be downloaded from professor Srecnicki's homepage. I'm not allowed to post URL's quite yet, but google his name and you'll find his homepage.

The Klein-Gordon action is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a scalar field, represented by the variable \phi. It is commonly used in quantum field theory to understand the behavior of particles with spin 0, such as the Higgs boson. The action is given by the integral of the Lagrangian density over space and time, and is defined as:

S = \int d^4 x \mathcal{L}

where \mathcal{L} is the Lagrangian density. In the case of the Klein-Gordon action, the Lagrangian density is given by:

\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \phi \left( - \partial^2 -m^2 \right) \phi

This expression represents the energy of the field \phi, and its dynamics are governed by the Klein-Gordon equation, which is obtained by varying the action with respect to \phi. The surface term mentioned in the question is a boundary term that arises when integrating by parts, and it does not contribute to the dynamics of the field.

To evaluate the integral, we can use the Fourier transform of the field \phi:

\phi(x) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2E_p}} \left( a_p e^{i p \cdot x} + a_p^{\dagger} e^{-i p \cdot x} \right)

where a_p and a_p^{\dagger} are the creation and annihilation operators, and E_p is the energy of the field. Substituting this into the Lagrangian density, we get:

\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} \left( a_p e^{i p \cdot x} + a_p^{\dagger} e^{-i p \cdot x} \right) \left( - \partial^2 - m^2 \right) \left( a_p e^{i p \cdot x} + a_p^{\dagger} e^{-i p \cdot x} \right)

Expanding this out and simplifying, we get:

\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d^

1. What is the Klein-Gordon action and why is it important in physics?

The Klein-Gordon action is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a scalar field in spacetime. It is an important concept in physics because it is used to study the behavior of quantum fields and their interactions with other particles.

2. How is the Klein-Gordon action calculated?

The Klein-Gordon action is calculated by taking the integral of the Lagrangian density over spacetime. The Lagrangian density is a function of the scalar field and its derivatives with respect to spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the Klein-Gordon equation in quantum field theory?

The Klein-Gordon equation, which is derived from the Klein-Gordon action, is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a spinless particle. It is significant in quantum field theory because it allows us to study the behavior of particles at high energies and speeds.

4. How does the Klein-Gordon action relate to other fundamental physics equations?

The Klein-Gordon action is a fundamental equation in quantum field theory, and it is related to other important equations such as the Schrodinger equation and the Dirac equation. It also has connections to the principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. What are some applications of the Klein-Gordon action in modern physics?

The Klein-Gordon action has many applications in modern physics, such as in the study of particle physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It is also used in the development of theories for fundamental interactions, such as the Standard Model and quantum gravity theories.