Evaluate the magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of the planet

In summary, to calculate the maximum altitude and range, you need to eliminate the time (t) and use the standard constant acceleration equations (a = 0 and a = -g).
huybinhs

Homework Statement

The trajectory of a rock thrown from a height with an initial speed of 16.9 m/s is shown in the figure below. Evaluate the magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of the planet. The planet has no atmosphere.

The graph is as follow:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/huybinhs/plot-1.png

Homework Equations

g = G*M/R²

a = v^2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know using g = G*M/R² to find magnitude of the gravitational field. In order to find R using a = v^2 / r; but I don't know how to find a from the graph. Please help! Thanks!

Note: I'm not sure if my tried solution is correct or not. Please advise!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi huybinhs! :smile:

Sorry, but you're going completely berserk on this. :redface:

You don't know the mass of the planet, or its radius, so you can't use the first equation; and the second equation is for centripetal acceleration

All you're being asked is to measure the acceleration on the graph (you can assume it's vertical, and a constant). :wink:

tiny-tim said:

Sorry, but you're going completely berserk on this. :redface:

You don't know the mass of the planet, or its radius, so you can't use the first equation; and the second equation is for centripetal acceleration

All you're being asked is to measure the acceleration on the graph (you can assume it's vertical, and a constant). :wink:

"All you're being asked is to measure the acceleration on the graph (you can assume it's vertical, and a constant)" => you mean a = 10 m/s^2 (when I look at the vertical on the graph) ? I'm confused...

Still don't get this. Please help!

Any one?

I haven't looked at your graph, but acceleration in any equation is the second derivative. First derivative is velocity, second is acceleration.

So if your graph shows you something happening at the surface of the planet, take the second derivative of the function at that place on the chart.

mgookin said:
I haven't looked at your graph, but acceleration in any equation is the second derivative. First derivative is velocity, second is acceleration.

So if your graph shows you something happening at the surface of the planet, take the second derivative of the function at that place on the chart.

I understand. My graph showing Vertical Positive Above Surface (m) and Horizontal Position (m). What can I do?

Tell me, between which of vertical position and horizontal position does gravity affect? Also this equation may help you

v^2=v0^2+2as

The gravity absolutely affects on the rock. Using your formula, what about the v?

Last edited:
Extremely stuck with this one. Anyone?

Suppose you throw away a rock from an alitude of 10m with a speed v=16.9m and with an angle of [itex] \phi [/itex] with the horizontal on a planet with acceleration of gravity a.
you should be able to calculate the maximum altitude and the range as a function of a and [itex] \phi [/itex]

Now you can read the maximum altitude and the range from the graph, so you get to equations
for a and [itex] \phi [/itex] that you can solve.

willem2 said:
Suppose you throw away a rock from an alitude of 10m with a speed v=16.9m and with an angle of [itex] \phi [/itex] with the horizontal on a planet with acceleration of gravity a.
you should be able to calculate the maximum altitude and the range as a function of a and [itex] \phi [/itex]

Now you can read the maximum altitude and the range from the graph, so you get to equations
for a and [itex] \phi [/itex] that you can solve.

Got ya. Do you have any ideas about equation calculator here? That's would be great ;)

huybinhs said:
But I couldn't find any information on the graph. It's just given 2 distances. I'm really stuck on this- my last problem. Please be more specific!

From the graph, measure the initial angle, and use that to find the initial components of velocity (you know the magnitude is 16.9).

Then read off the horizontal distance traveled when the ball returns to its original height (10m).

Call the time when that happens "t".

The use the standard constant acceleration equations (with a = 0 and a = -g) for the x and y directions …

that gives you two equations, from which you can eliminate t and find g. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

From the graph, measure the initial angle, and use that to find the initial components of velocity (you know the magnitude is 16.9).

Then read off the horizontal distance traveled when the ball returns to its original height (10m).

Call the time when that happens "t".

The use the standard constant acceleration equations (with a = 0 and a = -g) for the x and y directions …

that gives you two equations, from which you can eliminate t and find g. :wink:

Hello,

How can I find intial angle on the graph? guessing?

huybinhs said:
Hello,

How can I find intial angle on the graph? guessing?

Measure it! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Measure it! :smile:

Ok. Taking x = 0; x =10 ; y = 10 ; y = 20. So:

tan(theta) = o / a = 20 /10 = 2 => angle = 63.4 degree. Correct? then what?

what formula to calculate the v?

I got v^2 = tan(theta) * r*g but lack of r and need to find g ??

Last edited:
(have a theta: θ :wink:)
huybinhs said:
Ok. Taking x = 0; x =10 ; y = 10 ; y = 20. So:

tan(theta) = o / a = 20 /10 = 2 => angle = 63.4 degree. Correct? then what?

Then use vx = 16.9 cosθ , vy = 16.9 sinθ :smile:

tiny-tim said:

tiny-tim said:

Using vx = 16.9 cosθ (i) , vy = 16.9 sinθ (ii)

(i) => vx = 16.9 * cos (63.4) = 7.57 m/s

(ii) => vy = 16.9 * sin (63.4) = 15.1 m/s

then "Then read off the horizontal distance traveled when the ball returns to its original height (10m)." = 124 m

"Call the time when that happens "t"."

Using the standard constant acceleration equations (with a = 0 and a = -g) for the x and y directions:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = v0x * t (1)

[tex]\Delta[/tex]y = v0y - 1/2 gt2 (2)

How can you cancel the t because the equation (2) having t2 ; what's value for [tex]\Delta[/tex]x and [tex]\Delta[/tex]y ?? (60 and 124 ?)

Still waiting for the answer!

Are you sure your initial angle is correct(looks like 45 to me). Delta y=0 as there is no change in height and delta x=124.

aim1732 said:
Are you sure your initial angle is correct(looks like 45 to me). Delta y=0 as there is no change in height and delta x=124.

We need to calculate the angle, not just guessing.

If Delta y = 0, then how can I simplify the t?

Well I am dead sure. Look closely tan(theta)=delta x/delta y.
Square the first eqn. and eliminate t^2.

aim1732 said:
Well I am dead sure. Look closely tan(theta)=delta x/delta y.
Square the first eqn. and eliminate t^2.

After I square the first equation. I got:

([tex]\Delta[/tex]x)2 = (v0x)2
0 = v0y*(1/2) * g

then I plug in the number:

first equation = 1242 = 7.572 ?

second equation <=> 15.1 * 1/2 * g = 0 now couldn't solve for the g either. I'm really stuck!

Sorry you eqn. 2 is wrong. It is x= u*t +1/2*g*t*t. If you can take out t from first eqn. and simply put in the second eqn. you will get the result. I don't see your problem.

aim1732 said:
Sorry you eqn. 2 is wrong. It is x= u*t +1/2*g*t*t. If you can take out t from first eqn. and simply put in the second eqn. you will get the result. I don't see your problem.

You mean:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = v0x * t (1)

[tex]\Delta[/tex]y = v0y*t + (1/2)gt2 (2)

Are those correct?

Yes, eliminate t but don't square. Simply take t on LHS in first eqn. and put in eqn.2.

aim1732 said:
Yes, eliminate t but don't square. Simply take t on LHS in first eqn. and put in eqn.2.

Then I got:

t = 16.4 s

Plug t in (2), I get:

0 = 15.1*16.4 + (1/2)g*(16.42)

=> g = -1.84 m/s2 ?

That is because your initial angle is incorrect. It is 45.

But how can I know the angle is 45? Please let me know!

aim1732 said:
That is because your initial angle is incorrect. It is 45.

If the angle is 45 then vx = vy = 11.95 m/s

then using those equation I got g = -2.30 m/s2. Is this correct?

Look at the graph. The gradient of the curve initially is delta x/ delta y =(20-10)/(10-0).

aim1732 said:
Look at the graph. The gradient of the curve initially is delta x/ delta y =(20-10)/(10-0).

I just submitted the answer -2.30 and it's INCORRECT! Please help!

huybinhs said:
I just submitted the answer -2.30 and it's INCORRECT! Please help!

It's all about the sign. Thanks so much for your help aim1732 and tiny-tim! I really appreciate it ;)

Related to Evaluate the magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of the planet

1. What is the gravitational field at the surface of a planet?

The gravitational field at the surface of a planet is a measure of the force of gravity experienced by an object at that location. It is typically measured in units of acceleration (m/s^2) and is dependent on the mass and radius of the planet.

2. How is the magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of a planet calculated?

The magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of a planet can be calculated using the formula g = G*M/R^2, where g is the gravitational field, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and R is the radius of the planet.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of a planet?

The magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of a planet is primarily affected by the mass and radius of the planet. The larger the mass and radius, the stronger the gravitational field will be. Additionally, the distance from the planet's center and the presence of other nearby massive objects can also affect the gravitational field.

4. How does the magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of a planet impact objects on the planet's surface?

The magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of a planet determines the force of gravity that objects experience. This force is what keeps objects on the planet's surface and is also responsible for the weight of objects on the planet.

5. Can the magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of a planet change?

Yes, the magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of a planet can change. It can vary depending on the location on the planet's surface and can also change over time due to factors such as changes in the planet's mass or the presence of other massive objects in the vicinity.