Evaluate this limit with square roots

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solve the limit of a function involving square roots. The use of L'Hopital's Rule, rationalizing the denominator, and finding the asymptotic behavior of the numerator and denominator are suggested as potential strategies. Ultimately, the correct use of the chain rule leads to the solution of -2 for the limit.
aeromat

Homework Statement

[tex]$
\lim_{x\to0}\frac{\sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{2x+1}}{\sqrt{3x + 4} - \sqrt{2x+4}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I just want to know what is the easiest approach tactic one could take to solve this. I tried doing the conjugate to rationalize the denominator, but then I am left with a gigantic numerator on to the top with many square root multiples.

Physics news on Phys.org
aeromat said:

Homework Statement

[tex]$
\lim_{x\to0}\frac{\sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{2x+1}}{\sqrt{3x + 4} - \sqrt{2x+4}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I just want to know what is the easiest approach tactic one could take to solve this. I tried doing the conjugate to rationalize the denominator, but then I am left with a gigantic numerator on to the top with many square root multiples.
You could use L'Hopital's Rule on this one. Have you tried that?

rationalize to a sum of squares

flyingpig said:
rationalize to a sum of squares
I think you mean "difference of squares."

Yes that one lol

Ok what if I haven't learned L'Hopital's rule, what strategy could I take?

Ok nevermind, I am trying to use the L'Hopital's Rule:

If I want to express [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{2x+1}[/tex] using the Power Rule, how would I simplify it with the "-1/2" exponent?

It would be an exponent of +1/2, not -1/2.

f(x) = (x + 1)1/2 - (2x - 1)1/2

Is that what you're asking?

L'Hopital's Rule worked for me - I was able to get a number for this limit. Multiplying numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator did not work for me, as the resulting expression is still in the indeterminate form [0/0].

Wait, why would it not be -1/2? When you apply the Power Rule, you do n-1 for the exponent, and in this case it was 1/2. So 1/2 - 1 should be -1/2, wouldn't it be?

Hint:

[tex]
(1 + x)^{\alpha} \sim 1 + \alpha x, \; x \rightarrow 0
[/tex]

With this formula, you can find the asymptotic behavior of the numerator and denominator. I'll do one for you:

[tex]
\sqrt{3 x + 4} = \left[4 \left(1 + \frac{3 x}{4}\right)\right]^{\frac{1}{2}} \sim 2 \, \left(1 + \frac{1}{2} \, \frac{3 x}{4}\right) = 2 + \frac{3 x}{4}
[/tex]

and so on. You will see the leading terms will cancel separately in the numerator and the denominator. That is why you need to go to next to leading order. Then, you will see a nice cancellation.

When you rationalize at the first stage you multiply numerator and denominator by sqrt(3x+4)+sqrt(2x+4), yes? That gives you x in the denominator and it's still 0/0. That's ok, but you don't need to leave the complicated sqrt(3x+4)+sqrt(2x+4) in the numerator. You know that limit is 4. Just multiply the numerator by 4. Now use the same strategy when you rationalize the numerator. Keep things whose limits are nonzero constants as constants until you need to expand them. It doesn't have to be a sqrt nightmare.

Mark44 said:
It would be an exponent of +1/2, not -1/2.

f(x) = (x + 1)1/2 - (2x - 1)1/2

Is that what you're asking?

aeromat said:
Wait, why would it not be -1/2? When you apply the Power Rule, you do n-1 for the exponent, and in this case it was 1/2. So 1/2 - 1 should be -1/2, wouldn't it be?

f(x) above is the numerator of your expression before applying L'Hopital's Rule. After applying this rule the numerator is f'(x) = (1/2)(x + 1)-1/2 - (2/2)(2x - 1)-1/2.

The question you asked in post #7 was unclear to me, which is why I asked for clarification on what you were trying to say.

1/(2√[x+1]) - 1/(2√[2x+1])
---------------------------------
1/2(√[3x+4]) - 1/2(√[2x+4])

That is what I got after taking the derivative of both. Now I am stuck, because if I were to plug in x, I get a 0/0 indeterminate form again.

You have not used the chain rule correctly.

For example,
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (2x + 1)^{1/2} = \frac{2}{2(2x + 1)^{1/2}}= \frac{1}{(2x + 1)^{1/2}}[/tex]

You have mistakes in three of your derivatives.

Mark44 said:
You have not used the chain rule correctly.

For example,
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (2x + 1)^{1/2} = \frac{2}{2(2x + 1)^{1/2}}= \frac{1}{(2x + 1)^{1/2}}[/tex]

You have mistakes in three of your derivatives.

Thank you very much. I finally got the answer, -2.

aeromat said:
Thank you very much. I finally got the answer, -2.

Yep, that's what I got. Good job!

What is the definition of a limit with square roots?

A limit with square roots is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol lim and is used to represent the value that a function approaches as the input value gets closer and closer to a specific point.

How do I evaluate a limit with square roots?

To evaluate a limit with square roots, you can use various methods such as factoring, rationalizing the denominator, or using the properties of limits. It is important to simplify the expression as much as possible before applying the limit. You can also use a graphing calculator or online limit calculator to evaluate the limit.

What are the common types of limits with square roots?

The common types of limits with square roots include limits involving radical expressions, limits involving rational functions with square roots, and limits involving trigonometric functions with square roots. These types of limits require different approaches and techniques to evaluate.

What are some tips for evaluating a limit with square roots?

Some tips for evaluating a limit with square roots include first simplifying the expression, identifying any common factors, and using the properties of limits such as the limit laws and the squeeze theorem. It is also helpful to understand the behavior of square root functions and their graphs.

Why are limits with square roots important?

Limits with square roots are important in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their graphs. They also allow us to determine the continuity and differentiability of a function, which is crucial in various real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.