Evaluating a limit as x tends to ## \infty##

• Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: Not quite. You need to write it as ##\lim A \cdot \lim B## and then evaluate the two separate limits, which look like this:$$\lim A = \lim_{x \to \infty} ax = \lim_{x \to \infty} a \cdot \lim_{x \to \infty} x$$$$\lim B = \lim_{x \to \infty} \left( \sqrt{1 + \frac{b}{a^2x} + \frac{1}{a^2x}} - 1 \right) = \lim_{x \to \infty} \left( \frac{b}{a^2x} +
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

$$ \lim_{x\to\infty} (\sqrt{a^2x^2 +bx + x} -ax) = $$
b/2a
b/a
2b/a

Homework Equations

Lim x tends to infinity 1/x = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking a2x2 common from square root, we get
$$ \lim_{x\to\infty} (ax \sqrt{1+\frac{b}{a^2x}+ \frac{1}{a^2x}} -ax) = $$
Putting x as infinity we get,
ax - ax = 0
But Wolfram is showing something else

Physics news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement

b/2a
b/a
2b/a

Homework Equations

ax - ax = 0
Wolfram is right. You multiply something that tends to zero with something that goes to infinity. You can not conclude that the limit is zero.

ehild said:
Wolfram is right. You multiply something that tends to zero with something that goes to infinity. You can not conclude that the limit is zero.
Use the approximation ##\sqrt{1+\delta} = 1+0.5 \delta ## valid if δ<<1.

Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement

b/2a
b/a
2b/a

Homework Equations

ax - ax = 0
You took the limit too soon. Instead, notice that both terms have a factor of ax, so factor that expression out so that you're taking the limit of ax * <other stuff>. What do you get now for your limit?
Raghav Gupta said:

What is the result if a is not a positive number ?

Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement

b/2a
b/a
2b/a

Homework Equations

ax - ax = 0

None of the possible answers listed is correct. What do you get if a > 0? What do you get if a < 0?

Mark44 said:
You took the limit too soon. Instead, notice that both terms have a factor of ax, so factor that expression out so that you're taking the limit of ax * <other stuff>. What do you get now for your limit?
I get

$$ \lim_{x\to\infty} (ax( \sqrt{1+\frac{b}{a^2x}+ \frac{1}{a^2x}} -1)) $$
Now what should I do to solve it?
Can some formula, L Hopital rule etc. be applied here?
SammyS said:
What is the result if a is not a positive number ?
Don't know for both the cases.
Ray Vickson said:
None of the possible answers listed is correct. What do you get if a > 0? What do you get if a < 0?
It is amazing that most of the questions which I post are wrong or options are wrong. ( Test makers should verify the questions as it wastes time in exam hour.:mad:)
Okay leaving the options,
Can we say for this problem that the limit not exists?

Raghav Gupta said:
I get

##\sqrt{a^2x^2} = |ax|##
Since the limit is as ##x \to \infty##, we can assume that x > 0, but since no information is given about a, the best we can do is to write ##\sqrt{a^2x^2} = |a|x##.

Regarding the limit above, use the fact that ##\lim AB = \lim A \cdot \lim B##, provided that both limits exist.
Raghav Gupta said:

It is amazing that most of the questions which I post are wrong or options are wrong. ( Test makers should verify the questions as it wastes time in exam hour.:mad:)

Mark44 said:
##\sqrt{a^2x^2} = |ax|##
Since the limit is as ##x \to \infty##, we can assume that x > 0, but since no information is given about a, the best we can do is to write ##\sqrt{a^2x^2} = |a|x##.

Regarding the limit above, use the fact that ##\lim AB = \lim A \cdot \lim B##, provided that both limits exist.
So lim B = 0
Lim A = ∞
LimA.LimB = ∞ * 0 which is indeterminate.

I suspect the problem should have been ##\displaystyle\ \lim_{x\to\infty} (\sqrt{a^2x^2 +bx + c\ } -ax) \ ## or similar.

Multiply & divide by the complex conjugate ( ← Added in quick Edit. Mark beat me to it!)

You're right. A trick that often works in cases like this is to multiply by the conjugate over itself. (IOW, multiply by 1 in a certain form).

Going back to the original problem, ## \lim_{x\to\infty} (\sqrt{a^2x^2 +bx + x} -ax)##, try multiplying by ##\frac{\sqrt{a^2x^2 +bx + x} + ax}{\sqrt{a^2x^2 +bx + x} + ax}##

BTW, are you sure about the quantity in the radical? It seems odd to me to have bx + x in there. I'm wondering if the last two terms should be bx + c. Just checking.

Edit: Sammy beat me to it.

Raghav Gupta said:
I get

No, you cannot say that. We have
[tex] \sqrt{a^2 x^2 + bx + x} = |a x| \left( 1 + \frac{b+1}{a^2} \frac{1}{x} \right)^{1/2} - ax \doteq |a|x \left(1 + \frac{b+1}{2a^2} \frac{1}{x} \right) -ax\\
= |a|x - ax + |a| \frac{b+1}{2a^2}.[/tex]
for large ##x > 0##. Again, I ask: what do you get if ##a > 0##? What do you get if ##a < 0##?

Note added in edit: it looks like one of your choices is correct IF a > 0 AND you mean bx + c inside the square root, instead of the bx + x that you wrote.
Raghav Gupta said:
So lim B = 0
Lim A = ∞
LimA.LimB = ∞ * 0 which is indeterminate.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
I suspect the problem should have been ##\displaystyle\ \lim_{x\to\infty} (\sqrt{a^2x^2 +bx + c\ } -ax) \ ## or similar.

Multiply & divide by the complex conjugate ( ← Added in quick Edit. Mark beat me to it!)
Mark44 said:
You're right. A trick that often works in cases like this is to multiply by the conjugate over itself. (IOW, multiply by 1 in a certain form).

Going back to the original problem, ## \lim_{x\to\infty} (\sqrt{a^2x^2 +bx + x} -ax)##, try multiplying by ##\frac{\sqrt{a^2x^2 +bx + x} + ax}{\sqrt{a^2x^2 +bx + x} + ax}##

BTW, are you sure about the quantity in the radical? It seems odd to me to have bx + x in there. I'm wondering if the last two terms should be bx + c. Just checking.

Edit: Sammy beat me to it.
Ray Vickson said:
No, you cannot say that. We have
[tex] \sqrt{a^2 x^2 + bx + x} = |a x| \left( 1 + \frac{b+1}{a^2} \frac{1}{x} \right)^{1/2} - ax \doteq |a|x \left(1 + \frac{b+1}{2a^2} \frac{1}{x} \right) -ax\\
= |a|x - ax + |a| \frac{b+1}{2a^2}.[/tex]
for large ##x > 0##. Again, I ask: what do you get if ##a > 0##? What do you get if ##a < 0##?

Note added in edit: it looks like one of your choices is correct IF a > 0 AND you mean bx + c inside the square root, instead of the bx + b that you wrote.
In the radical there is bx + x term as I have typed earlier. It is sure.
When I do the multiplying and dividing by conjugate and do some solving I get the the answer (b+1)/2a
for a>0. For a<0 it is undefined.

For bx + c term I am getting answer b/2a for a>0
Why wolfram is showing something else?

Raghav Gupta said:
In the radical there is bx + x term as I have typed earlier. It is sure.

It is almost surely a typo -- maybe not your typo, but somebody's typo. (I looked at my keyboard, and right beside the "x" key is the "c" key.)

Raghav Gupta said:
When I do the multiplying and dividing by conjugate and do some solving I get the the answer (b+1)/2a
for a>0. For a<0 it is undefined.

For bx + c term I am getting answer b/2a for a>0
Tell Wolfram that a>0, (place ", a>0 " immediately after the rest of your input to Wolfram.)

Likes Raghav Gupta
SammyS said:
Tell Wolfram that a>0, (place ", a>0 " immediately after the rest of your input to Wolfram.)
Getting not the result, see
wolfram1
And
wolfram2

Raghav Gupta said:
Getting not the result, see
wolfram1
And
wolfram2
The following worked for me: Wolfman .

, a>0

You need the comma .

Likes Raghav Gupta
Got it, thanks to all of you- ehild, Sammy,Ray and @Mark44 ( I don't know if it was a coincidence or you are really a fan of Mark 44 ?)

Last edited:
Raghav Gupta said:
Got it, thanks to all of you- ehild, Sammy,Ray and @Mark44 ( I don't know if it was a coincidence or you are really a fan of Mark 44 ?)
Purely a coincidence - I had never heard of Mark 44 before.

Neither have I
Mark 44 seems a fairly modern contraption. Mark44 is probably in existence since 1944 !

Likes Raghav Gupta
BvU said:
Neither have I
Mark 44 seems a fairly modern contraption. Mark44 is probably in existence since 1944 !
Correctamundo!

Mark44 said:
Correctamundo!
I thought maybe Mark44 was 22 times Mark Twain.

Likes Mark44

1. What does it mean to evaluate a limit as x tends to ∞?

Evaluating a limit as x tends to ∞ means finding the value that a function approaches as its input (x) increases without bound. In other words, it is determining the value that a function approaches as its input becomes infinitely large.

2. How do you evaluate a limit as x tends to ∞?

To evaluate a limit as x tends to ∞, you can use several methods such as direct substitution, factoring, and rationalization. You can also use L'Hospital's rule, which is a method for evaluating limits involving quotients of functions.

3. Can a limit as x tends to ∞ have a finite value?

Yes, a limit as x tends to ∞ can have a finite value. This means that the function approaches a specific value as x becomes infinitely large. However, it is also possible for the limit to be infinite or undefined.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit when evaluating as x tends to ∞?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as x approaches ∞ from one direction (either positive or negative). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of a function as x approaches ∞ from both directions. In other words, it takes into account the behavior of the function as x becomes infinitely large in both the positive and negative directions.

5. Why is it important to evaluate a limit as x tends to ∞?

Evaluating a limit as x tends to ∞ is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function as its input becomes infinitely large. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as predicting the growth of populations, analyzing the behavior of systems over time, and understanding the behavior of functions with very large inputs.