1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating an integral when theta>0

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫ e^(-y/θ) dy

2. Relevant equations

The directions say evaluate when theta>0.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been integrating by using u of substitution and been getting -θ*e^(-y/θ) and evaluating from 0 to ∞ and getting the answer as undefined. I need help with evaluating the integral. Please help. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Are you familiar with the anti derivative of ##e^{- \frac{x}{a}}##?

4. Mar 23, 2013 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your result should not be "undefined".

You have the correct anti-derivative.

Write [itex]\displaystyle \ \int_0^{\infty}e^{-y/\theta}\,dy\ [/itex] as [itex]\displaystyle \ \lim_{a\to\infty} \int_0^{a}e^{-y/\theta}\,dy\ .[/itex]

Now use your anti-derivatve with the limits of integration, then take the limit.

5. Mar 23, 2013 #4
    No, I'm not. How is it used in this situation?

6. Mar 23, 2013 #5
    You want to evaluate the integral [itex] \int e^{-y/\theta}, dy [/itex]. What happens when you make the substituion [itex] u = {\frac{-y}{\theta}} [/itex] ? What is [itex] du [/itex] ?

Can you generalize to [itex] \int f(cx)\, dx [/itex] when you know what [itex] \int f(x)\, dx [/itex] is? This is a useful result to know when evaluating integrals so you don't always have to make these substitutions.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  7. Mar 23, 2013 #6
    How would i take the anti derivative if says to evaluate for all theta> 0 not quite sure how to do this.

8. Mar 23, 2013 #7
    What happens to -θ*e^(-b/θ) as b goes to ∞? to 0? Remember that θ is just a constant.

9. Mar 23, 2013 #8
    is theta a constant even though in the directions it says evaluate from theta>0.

10. Mar 23, 2013 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. It says evaluate when θ > 0 .

If θ ≤ 0, then [itex]\displaystyle \ \int_0^{\infty}e^{-y/\theta}\,dy\ [/itex] does not converge.

(Did you not understand my previous post?)

11. Mar 23, 2013 #10
    For some reason I'm not understanding what you are saying, SammyS. HS scientist just said it was a constant, and I was disagreeing. Is there any way you could give me the answer and answer how you got it?

Thanks

12. Mar 23, 2013 #11
    also since it says evaluate when theta > 0 this means that all values to infinity so doesnt this mean when evaluating ill get infinity/infinity is the exponent.

13. Mar 23, 2013 #12

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This just means θ is a constant, and it's positive.

In your Original Post, you said that using u substitution, you got -θ*e^(-y/θ) .

That's the correct result for the indefinite integral, [itex]\displaystyle \ \int e^{-y/\theta}\,dy\ .[/itex] Another way to say that is: The anti-derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \ e^{-y/\theta}\ [/itex] is -θ*e^(-y/θ) .

Do you know how evaluate a definite integral (with limits of integration), if you know the indefinite integral (without limits of integration)?

14. Mar 23, 2013 #13
    yes i know how to evaluate the definite but when the values of theta are : theta>0 how do you evaluate this when the limits of integration are also from 0 to infinity?

15. Mar 23, 2013 #14

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Again: θ is simply some constant -- it happens to be positive. The variable of integration is "y" . It's y that goes from 0 to ∞ as specified by the limits of integration.

16. Mar 24, 2013 #15
    Let's try to do this step by step:
    [itex] \displaystyle\lim_{y\rightarrow \infty} {-\theta e^{-y/\theta}} =

-\theta \displaystyle\lim_{y\rightarrow \infty} {e^{-y/\theta}} [/itex] =

[itex] -\theta (\displaystyle\lim_{y\rightarrow \infty} {e^{-y}})^{1/\theta} [/itex].

Since [itex] \theta [/itex] is greater than zero, what can you say about this limit?
    Similarly, what about [itex] -\theta (\displaystyle\lim_{y\rightarrow 0} {e^{-y}})^{1/\theta} [/itex]?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  17. Mar 24, 2013 #16
    Yes, thank you. I should be more careful when writing out solutions.

18. Mar 24, 2013 #17

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may still be able to go back and Edit that post.

Added in Edit:

Now that you've made the change, I'll delete my post regarding the typo.

(I think PF gives you something like a 700 minute window for Editing.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  19. Mar 24, 2013 #18
    Wow, I did not realize that there is such a long allowed time to edit posts. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted