Evaluating the Integral ∫∫xexy dxdy from 0≤x≤1, 0≤y≤1

  • Thread starter Thread starter says
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
says
Messages
585
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement


∫∫xexy dxdy where upper and lower limits are 0≤x≤1, 0≤y≤1
so I complete u substitution and get the integral
1/y2 ∫ u*eu du
Now with integration by parts I end up with
xy*exy-exy/y2
I have to evaluate this integral at 0≤x≤1, 0≤y≤1, as mentioned above.
The problem I have is that after evaluating I get an answer of 1, but I've computed this question into symbolab online and it says the answer is e-2.
I was wondering how these two statements are equivalent (below)
(ey(y-1)+1)/y2

(ey - (ey (y-1))/y) - 1/y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need to use variable substitution to solve this integral. Simply set up the problem as an iterated integral. Then figure out which variable is going to be easiest to start with.