Evaluating definite integral by substitution

In summary, by using the substitution u=1/t, we can show that the integral \int^∞_1 \frac{t^5}{(1+t^3)^3}dt is equal to \int^1_0 \frac{u^2}{(1+u^3)^3}du. The reverse can also be done, but the limits of integration need to be changed accordingly. The integral at 0 is 0, but there may be a negative sign due to the integration bounds being switched.
dawn_pingpong

Homework Statement

By using substitution [tex]u=\frac{1}{t}[/tex], or otherwise, show that

[itex]\int^∞_1 \frac{t^5}{(1+t^3)^3}dt=\int^1_0 \frac{u^2}{(1+u^3)^3}du[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

integral.png

Well, the reverse can also be done (making t to u). However, I don't know how to change the premise of the integral (from (∞,1) to (1,0). Thank you! I can integrate the integral after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
dawn_pingpong said:

Homework Statement

By using substitution [tex]u=\frac{1}{t}[/tex], or otherwise, show that

[itex]\int^∞_1 \frac{t^5}{(1+t^3)^3}dt=\int^1_0 \frac{u^2}{(1+u^3)^3}du[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

integral.png

Well, the reverse can also be done (making t to u). However, I don't know how to change the premise of the integral (from (∞,1) to (1,0). Thank you! I can integrate the integral after that.
[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{t\,\to\ \ \infty}\frac{1}{t}\ \ =\ \ \underline{\ \ ?\ \ }[/itex]

0?

so the integral is just [itex]0- \int\left[\frac{(1/t)^2}{t^2(1+(1/t)^3}\right]^1[/itex]?(sorry don't really know how I'm supposed to write this...)

and at 0 the integral is 0. but it seems there is something wrong with the sign, because it is negative...

Last edited:
[itex]\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)\,dx=- \int_b^a f(x)\,dx[/itex]

oh right! thanks!

1. What is the purpose of using substitution in evaluating definite integrals?

Substitution is a technique used to simplify more complex integrals by replacing the variable of integration with a new variable. This can often make the integral more manageable and easier to solve.

2. How do you choose which substitution to use?

The substitution used should be chosen based on the form of the integral. In general, we want to choose a substitution that will eliminate a more complex part of the integral, such as a trigonometric function or a radical.

3. What is the process for evaluating definite integrals by substitution?

The process involves identifying a suitable substitution, making the substitution, and then solving the integral using the new variable. After solving, the result must be converted back to the original variable to obtain the final answer.

4. Can substitution be used for all definite integrals?

No, substitution is not always the most efficient method for solving definite integrals. In some cases, other techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions may be more suitable.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using substitution in definite integrals?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the limits of integration when making the substitution. It is important to carefully apply the substitution to both the integral and the limits to ensure the correct result.