Evaluating difficult integral involving square roots

In summary, The integral in question can be evaluated by setting u= 4- √x and using the substitution of du = -2√x dx. This simplifies the integral to ∫ √u (2u-8) du, which can be further solved using other methods such as trig substitution or setting u^2 = 4 - √x.
hali

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral

Homework Equations

∫ √(4-(√x)) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a mind block, I find this too challenging, help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the instant I look at that I think of setting [itex]u= 4- \sqrt{x}= 4- x^{1/2}[/itex]. Then [itex]du= -(1/2)x^{-1/2}dx[/itex] so that [itex]dx= -2x^{1/2}du= -2\sqrt{x}du[/itex].

And, since [itex]u= 4- \sqrt{x}[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{x}= 4- u[/itex].

I understand the du = ... But what happens to the square root of the entire function?

hali said:
I understand the du = ... But what happens to the square root of the entire function?

That's the whole point of setting ##u = 4 - \sqrt{x}##, the integral then becomes ##\int \sqrt{u} \ (2u-8) \ du ##, you simply substitute u in for ##4 - \sqrt{x}##.

There are other ways of solving this integral as well. You can use trig substituion and you can also set ##u^2 = 4 - \sqrt{x}## and still arrive at the correct result.

1. How do I solve an integral involving square roots?

Solving integrals involving square roots can be challenging, but there are a few techniques that can help. One approach is to use trigonometric substitutions to simplify the integral. Another method is to use the substitution method, where you substitute a variable for the square root in the integral. You can also try using integration by parts or partial fractions to break down the integral into simpler parts.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating integrals with square roots?

One common mistake is forgetting to simplify the square root before integrating. It's important to always simplify as much as possible before integrating. Additionally, be careful when using trigonometric substitutions and make sure to use the correct substitution for the given integral. Lastly, double check your work and make sure all steps are correct before moving on to the next problem.

3. How do I know which method to use when evaluating a difficult integral with square roots?

There is no one-size-fits-all method for evaluating integrals with square roots. It's important to try different techniques and see which one works best for the specific integral you are trying to solve. You may also consult with your teacher or peers for advice on which method to use.

4. Can I use a calculator to evaluate integrals with square roots?

Yes, there are many online integral calculators that can help you evaluate difficult integrals, including those with square roots. However, it's important to understand the concepts and techniques used to solve these integrals rather than relying solely on a calculator.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying integrals with multiple square roots?

One tip is to look for ways to combine the square roots using algebraic manipulation. For example, you can use the rule √(ab) = √a * √b to simplify the integral. Additionally, you can try factoring out a perfect square from under the square root. It's also helpful to review and understand the properties of square roots to make simplification easier.