1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating Improper Integral with limits and comparison theorem

1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

evaluate the integral 1/(u^2 -36) from 0 to 6

does the integral converge?

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

integral 1/(u^2 -36)
    integral 1/((u-6)(u+6))
    Partial fraction decomposition
    1/((u-6)(u+6)) = A/(u-6) + B/(u+6)
    1=A(u+6) + B(u-6)
    1=(A+B)u +(6A-6B)
    A+B=0
    A=-B
    6A -6B=1
    -12B=1
    B=-1/12
    A=1/12
    1/12 int 1/(y-6) - 1/12 int 1/(y+6)
    1/12 ln|y-6| - 1/12 ln|y+6|

I'm being told however by wolframalpha that it should be 1/12 ln|6-y| - 1/12 ln|y+6|
    How did that happen?

I also wanted to try to use the comparison theorem to see if it converges or not.
    I use the function g(x)=1/y^2 and i know that does not converge from 0 to 6, and since it is larger than f(x) then f(x) also does not converge. Did i go about that correctly?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try and stick with one variable. I don't know why you changed from u to y, but there is no difference between |6-y| and |y-6|. And to show it diverges by a comparision test you want a function that's less than 1/((y-6)(y+6)) that diverges. 1/y^2 isn't less than 1/((y-6)(y+6)).

4. Mar 24, 2013 #3
    Hmm, not sure why I changed the variables myself. Oh right, I forgot I had to take the absolute value. It also seems that I have the entire comparison theorem backwards..that's not good haha. I can't think of any obvious functions less than 1/((y-6)(y+6)) that diverges. Could you point me toward the right direction of finding one? Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. :smile:

5. Mar 24, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does 1/(y-6) diverge on [0,6]? The 1/(y+6) factor is between 1/12 and 1/6 on [0,6]. Use that info to make a comparison function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted