1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating large integers

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find some huge numbers and don't know how to do it using a computer. Everything that I have tried doesn't work because the numbers are too big.

2. Relevant equations

The equations are 1/((1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)) and 1/((1-x)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)) where x=10^30.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am assuming the only way to find this is using a computer. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The numbers aren't huge here, they're extremely small!

x is quite a large number here, in comparison the 1's in the denominators will be quite insignificant. If we forget about the 1's, we can the equations to be:

[tex]\frac{-1}{x^6} [/tex] and [tex]\frac{-1}{x^8}[/tex]. Those numbers you can easily compute exactly by hand =] I also assure you that neglecting the 1's creates a very small error indeed. We could carry out an analysis to find the maximum error made, but I can't be bothered, I'm sure you see its tiny as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?