Computing Large Integers with Precision: Solving Equations with x=10^30

• Thread starter saubbie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the equations for finding large numbers, 1/((1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)) and 1/((1-x)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)), can be simplified by neglecting the 1's in the denominators and using x=10^30. This allows for easy computation by hand with minimal error.
saubbie

Homework Statement

I need to find some huge numbers and don't know how to do it using a computer. Everything that I have tried doesn't work because the numbers are too big.

Homework Equations

The equations are 1/((1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)) and 1/((1-x)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)) where x=10^30.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming the only way to find this is using a computer. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The numbers aren't huge here, they're extremely small!

x is quite a large number here, in comparison the 1's in the denominators will be quite insignificant. If we forget about the 1's, we can the equations to be:

[tex]\frac{-1}{x^6} [/tex] and [tex]\frac{-1}{x^8}[/tex]. Those numbers you can easily compute exactly by hand =] I also assure you that neglecting the 1's creates a very small error indeed. We could carry out an analysis to find the maximum error made, but I can't be bothered, I'm sure you see its tiny as well.

Related to Computing Large Integers with Precision: Solving Equations with x=10^30

1. What are large integers and why do they need to be evaluated?

Large integers are numbers that are too big to be represented by the standard data types used in computer programming. They need to be evaluated in order to perform mathematical operations on them accurately and efficiently.

2. How do you determine the size of a large integer?

The size of a large integer is determined by the number of bits it takes to represent it. For example, a 64-bit integer can hold values up to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615.

3. What is the most commonly used method for evaluating large integers?

The most commonly used method for evaluating large integers is the divide-and-conquer approach, also known as the Karatsuba algorithm. This method breaks down the large integer into smaller subproblems, which can be solved more efficiently, and then combines the results to get the final answer.

4. How does the speed of evaluating large integers compare to standard arithmetic operations?

Evaluating large integers can be significantly slower than standard arithmetic operations, especially when using brute force methods. However, with more efficient algorithms like the Karatsuba algorithm, the speed can be comparable to standard operations for smaller integers.

5. Are there any limitations to evaluating large integers?

Yes, there are limitations to evaluating large integers. The main limitation is the amount of memory and processing power available. As the size of the integer increases, the amount of memory and processing power needed to evaluate it also increases. This can eventually reach a point where it is not feasible to evaluate the integer using current technology.