Evaluating Surface Integral of f=x over Semi Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a surface integral of f=x over a semi sphere. The steps to evaluate this integral are to start with the definition, substitute the correct values into the formula, and multiply by the magnitude of the projection onto the xy-plane. The integral is too complex in Cartesian coordinates, so the conversation also discusses using spherical coordinates as an alternative approach.
sibiryk
I need to evaluate the surface integral of f=x over a semi sphere.

I know how to evaluate surface integral of a semi sphere but what are my steps in this case. As I found from books I should double integrate f = x with semi sphere limits.
The problem is that I don't know how to start and what are these limits.

Physics news on Phys.org
sibiryk said:
I need to evaluate the surface integral of f=x over a semi sphere.
I know how to evaluate surface integral of a semi sphere but what are my steps in this case. As I found from books I should double integrate f = x with semi sphere limits.
The problem is that I don't know how to start and what are these limits.

Start with the definition right?

[tex]\int_S\int g(x,y,z)dS=\int_R\int g(x,y,f(x,y))\sqrt{(f_x)^2+(f_y)^2+1}dA[/tex]

In your case g(x,y,z)=x

f(x,y) is the surface of the sphere

S is the region of the sphere to be integrated over

R is the projection of that region onto the x-y plane.

Are you talking about special case when surface is flat?
If so, I don't think it would work here. Semi sphere is at z>0 with center at (0,0,0) and radius R=2.

Just find a parametrization of the sphere, call it P if you want, substitute the correct values of P into F, and multiply that by the magnitude of [tex] (P_{x} \times P_{y}) [/tex], the rest you should know.

sibiryk said:
Are you talking about special case when surface is flat?
If so, I don't think it would work here. Semi sphere is at z>0 with center at (0,0,0) and radius R=2.
No, he's not talking about the surface being flat. That's the reason for having [tex]\sqrt{(f_x)^2+(f_y)^2+1}dA[/tex]. THEN project the surface down onto the xy-plane. On the surface of the sphere, centered at (0,0) with radius 2, [tex]z= \sqrt{4- x^2- y^2}[/tex].
Even better, in polar coordinates, [tex]z= \sqrt{4-r^2}[/tex]. So
[tex]\sqrt{(f_r)^2+(f_/theta)^2+1}dA= \frac{2}{\sqrt{4-r^2}rdrd\theta[/tex].
The integral of [itex]x= r cos(\theta[/tex]over the top surface of the hemisphere is
[tex]\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^2 \frac{2r^2cos(\theta)drd\theta}{sqrt{4-r^2}[/tex]

Notice that I said "over the top surface". If you are really integrating over the entire surface, don't forget to do the bottom, a circle in the xy-plane, also.

May I make some observations?

f(x,y,z)=x is a density field symmetric about the x-z plane. That is, for any plane parallel to the y-z plane, the density is constant and is equal to the x-value of that plane. Imagine this plane moving towards the right and beginning to slice through that hemisphere sitting at the origin. When the plane is still in the negative region of x, say x=-1, all those density readings will be -1 right? Now imagine that plane passing through the origin and reaching the point x=1. All the values of f on that plane will be +1. Since the hemisphere is symmetrical about the y-z plane, what then does this say about the value of the surface integral?

Edit: Actually symmetrical about the x-z plane but analysis still ok.

So I'll go out on a limb and even before I calculate the integral, suggest that the value will be . . . well what do you think Sibiryk?

Last edited:
I started with sphere parametrization:

[tex]\P=rcos(\phi)sin(\theta)i+rsin(\phi)sin(\theta)j+rcos(\theta)k[\tex]

edit: and I tried latex for a first time and it doesn't work.

Last edited:
saltydog said:
May I make some observations?
f(x,y,z)=x is a density field symmetric about the y-z plane. That is, for any plane parallel to the y-z plane, the density is constant and is equal to the x-value of that plane. Imagine this plane moving towards the right and beginning to slice through that hemisphere sitting at the origin. When the plane is still in the negative region of x, say x=-1, all those density readings will be -1 right? Now imagine that plane passing through the origin and reaching the point x=1. All the values of f on that plane will be +1. Since the hemisphere is symmetrical about the y-z plane, what then does this say about the value of the surface integral?
So I'll go out on a limb and even before I calculate the integral, suggest that the value will be . . . well what do you think Sibiryk?

Do you want to say that would be zero?

sibiryk said:
Do you want to say that would be zero?

Yes, I believe it's zero. Can you set up the double integral using the formula I gave above?

Edit: Hey Sibiryk, I can't analytically evaluate the integral (even when I switch to polar coordinates); the 1 messes things up.

The function to be integrated is g(x,y,z)=x.

The surface over which it is to be integrated is the top half of a sphere which has the equation:

[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=4[/tex]

so the top half is just:

[tex]z=\sqrt{4-(x^2+y^2)}[/tex]

right?

And the projection of that hemisphere onto the x-y plane is the area inside of a circle of radius 2.

Last edited:
The integral is too complex if I go with Cartesian coordinates. I parameterized sphere:
x=r*cos(phi)*sin(theta); y=r*sin(phi)*sin(theta); y=r*cos(theta)
From here I found that dA=(r^2)*sin(theta)
Function g(x,y,z)=x I alco put in spherical coordinates as
x=r*cos(phi)*sin(theta) (I'm not sure if I can do that) and plug it into surface double integral. Integration by d(phi) gave me zero because sin(2pi) and sin(0) equals zero.

What do you think about my solution?

sibiryk said:
The integral is too complex if I go with Cartesian coordinates. I parameterized sphere:
x=r*cos(phi)*sin(theta) (I'm not sure if I can do that) and plug it into surface double integral. Integration by d(phi) gave me zero because sin(2pi) and sin(0) equals zero.

I'm not familiar with that method and I agree that the integral in cartesian coordinates (even polar coordinates) is too complex to evaluate.

sibiryk said:
You parametrized your x and z wrong. Why are you using r? You have a sphere of radius 2, so [tex] x = 2 \sin\phi \cos\theta, z = 2 \cos\phi [/tex].

I'll try that but what about y?
Is my f=x parameterization correct?

Your y is fine. Assuming you had set up the limits as 0<theta<2pi, 0<phi<pi/2, your answer should be right.

Yes, I set limits as you say.My second problem in homework requires to do the same with volume integral. Same conditions. I also got zero.
Would you think it will be the same for survace and for volume integrals?

Alright guys. Very clever (from my view anyway). Thanks. Now I know:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2} \rho^3 Sin^2(\phi)Cos(\theta)d\phi d\theta[/tex]

:smile:

sibiryk said:
Yes, I set limits as you say.My second problem in homework requires to do the same with volume integral. Same conditions. I also got zero.
Would you think it will be the same for survace and for volume integrals?

What exactly is your second problem is asking?

Evaluate volume integral f=x over sphere interior. Sphere at z>o, center at 0,0,0 and R=2. It looks to me pretty much the same as previous problem.
It is only one extra integral from 0 to R= 2 for variable r , and dV instead of dA.
Am I correct?

That should be correct, one thing though, replace your radius two in your parametrization to rho or r, whichever. I don't see the book's point of having you do the same problem twice in a row.

Tony11235 said:
That should be correct, one thing though, replace your radius two in your parametrization to rho or r, whichever. I don't see the book's point of having you do the same problem twice in a row.

It's not a book. I think that professor set this up himself. It looks weird and also confuse me. Makes me think that I was doing some thing wrong. I got zero in both cases.

Tony11235 said:

He's not being asked to do the same problem. The first problem was over the surface, the second the volume. Sounds like a "divergence theorem" exercise.

HallsofIvy said:
He's not being asked to do the same problem. The first problem was over the surface, the second the volume. Sounds like a "divergence theorem" exercise.

The way he stated it I coudln't tell.

Related to Evaluating Surface Integral of f=x over Semi Sphere

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given surface, similar to how a regular integral calculates the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How is a surface integral calculated?

The calculation of a surface integral involves dividing the surface into small pieces and finding the value of the function at each point. These values are then multiplied by the surface area of each piece and added together to get the total value of the function over the entire surface.

3. What is a semi sphere?

A semi sphere is a three-dimensional shape that is half of a sphere. It has a curved surface and a flat circular base. In the context of evaluating a surface integral, a semi sphere is a commonly used surface as it is relatively easy to work with mathematically.

4. What is the function f=x?

The function f=x is a linear function where the output (f) is equal to the input (x). In other words, the value of the function is directly proportional to the value of x. It is a simple function that is commonly used in mathematical calculations.

5. Why is it important to evaluate surface integrals?

Evaluating surface integrals is important in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to calculate important quantities such as mass, center of mass, and flux, which are essential in understanding and solving real-world problems. Surface integrals also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in vector calculus and differential geometry.