Evaluating the sum of a sigma notation problem with a lower limit k=10

In summary: So, the sum of the first 9 terms is (9*10)/2 = 45, and the sum of the next 11 terms is (11*12)/2 = 66. So, the total sum is 45 + 66 = 111. In summary, the sum of the series 20+21+22+...+28+29+30+31+32+33+34+35+36+37+38+39+40+41+42+43+44+45+46+47+48+49+50 is 165.
Brianna V
How do I evaluate the sum of this sigma notation problem?

∑ k
k=10

Normally, I would think to use the theorem for the sum of the first n integers:
n
∑ k = n(n+1)/2
k=1

I don't know how to do this, however, since the lower limit is k=10, not k=1.

My professor wrote this note on the board for the problem. It gives the answer, but I still don't understand it. If you do, could you explain? Thanks!

∑ k = ∑ - ∑ k
k=10 k=1 k=1

20(21)/2 - 9(10)/2 = 165 <-- (The answer)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've got an answer from another responder. His post is below:

For this sum you can just plug in the values until you hit 20. That's all you need to do.

10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20 = 165

His way is unnecessary and requires much more work. A better way is this, when ever you subtract k from the lower limit and the upper limit, you need to add that k in the sigma notation. In this way you can put your lower limit back to 1.

so

20...19 ... 11
∑ k = ∑ (k+1) = ∑ (k+9) = 165
k=10 k=9 ... k=1

Brianna V said:
∑ k = ∑ - ∑ k
k=10 k=1 k=1
That's pretty straightforward. It just says that the sum of the first 20 terms of a series can be split into the sum of the first 9 and the sum of the next 11.

Related to Evaluating the sum of a sigma notation problem with a lower limit k=10

What is sigma notation and why is it used in math?

Sigma notation is a mathematical shorthand notation used to represent a series of numbers that follow a specific pattern. It is often used to represent sums, products, and other mathematical operations. This notation is commonly used in calculus, statistics, and other branches of mathematics where large sums need to be evaluated.

How do you evaluate the sum of a sigma notation problem with a lower limit k=10?

To evaluate the sum of a sigma notation problem with a lower limit k=10, you need to first understand the expression inside the summation symbol. This expression usually involves a variable, such as 'n', that represents the term number in the series. You then substitute the value of k=10 for the variable and calculate the expression. The result is the sum of the series.

What is the purpose of a lower limit in sigma notation?

The lower limit in sigma notation represents the starting point of the series. It indicates the first term that should be included in the sum. This is important because it helps define the boundaries of the series and ensures that all the terms are included in the calculation.

Can the lower limit in sigma notation be changed?

Yes, the lower limit in sigma notation can be changed. This allows for flexibility in the calculation and allows you to evaluate the sum starting from a different term in the series. However, it is important to note that changing the lower limit will also change the result of the sum.

Are there any alternative methods for evaluating the sum of a sigma notation problem with a lower limit k=10?

Yes, there are alternative methods for evaluating the sum of a sigma notation problem with a lower limit k=10. One method is to use a calculator or a computer program that can handle mathematical expressions. Another method is to use a specific formula or rule for the series, such as the geometric or arithmetic series formula. Lastly, you can also manually calculate each term in the series and then add them together to get the sum.