Evaluation of an integral

Dyson series that does not have an analytic solution. This type of integral often arises in physics, particularly in cases involving translational Brownian motion. It is typically used in quantum mechanics to propagate a wave function in time using a non-commutative Hamiltonian. While there is no analytical solution, you can find some pointers on how to approach the integral.
navaneethkm
I am graduate student in engineering. In course of my research I have encountered an integral of this form

##\int_{t'}^{t} e ^{-b t_1} dt_1 \int_{t'}^{t_1 } e ^{b t_2} dt_2 \int_{t'}^{t_2 } e ^{-b t_3} dt_3 \int_{t'}^{t_3} e ^{b t_4} dt_4 ... \int_{t'}^{t_{n-1}} e ^{b t_n} dt_n ##

I am trying to find a general form of the result of this integral. Can someone give some pointers on how to solve this integral.Are there problems in physics especially related to translational Brownian motion where one encounters such integrals?

While writing this integral I have assumed t>t1>t2>...>tn>t' .

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's a Dyson series, which in general does not have an analytic solution.
Usually it comes out when in quantum mechanics you want to propagate in time a wave function, according to an Hamiltonian which does not commute with itself at different times.

Hi

Thanks. I will read up on this. I was hoping that I would be able to analytically evaluate this integral. Navaneeth

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value or quantity of a function over a given interval.

2. How is an integral evaluated?

An integral is evaluated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which involves finding the anti-derivative of a function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the integral.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific upper and lower limits, and its value represents the area under the curve between those limits. An indefinite integral has no limits and represents the general anti-derivative of a function.

4. How is integration used in real-life applications?

Integration is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, to solve problems involving rates of change, accumulation, and optimization.

5. What are some common techniques for evaluating integrals?

Some common techniques for evaluating integrals include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. The choice of technique depends on the form of the integral and the function being integrated.