Evalutation of loop-integrals with momentum cutoff

• Thread starter salparadise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the integral \int dk^4 \frac{1}{k^2-m^2} with a momentum cutoff. The solution involves using a Wick rotation and a substitution in order to evaluate the integral and "revert" the rotation. The final result is \sim\Lambda^2+m\log\left(\frac{\Lambda^2+m^2}{m^2}\right).
salparadise

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the integral:

[itex]\int dk^4 \frac{1}{k^2-m^2}[/itex]

with a momentum cutoff. I know what the result should look like, but I'm not sure how to get it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand one needs to perform a Wick rotation, for evaluating the integral in spherical coordinates.

So: [itex] k^0\rightarrow ik_E^0[/itex], [itex]k^2=-k_E^2[/itex] and [itex]\bar k=\sqrt{(k_E^0)^2+|\vec k|^2}[/itex]. And we obtain for the integral

[itex]-i2\pi^2\int^\Lambda_0 d\bar k \frac{\bar k^3}{\bar k^2+m^2}[/itex]

Now, the integral is trivial to calculate,

[itex]\int d\bar k \frac{\bar k^3}{\bar k^2+m^2}=\frac{1}{2}(\bar k^2-m^2\log(\bar k^2+m^2))[/itex]

but my problem is that I don't know how to apply the boundary values, and "revert" the Wick rotation. I assume that [itex]\Lambda^2=|\vec k|^2[/itex]...

The result should look like
[itex]\sim\Lambda^2+m\log\left(\frac{\Lambda^2+m^2}{m^2}\right)[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
but I'm not exactly sure how to get there. Any help would be appreciated! The solution is as follows:Using the substitution \bar k=\sqrt{(k_E^0)^2+|\vec k|^2}, we can rewrite the integral as: -i2\pi^2\int^\Lambda_0 d|\vec k| \frac{|\vec k|^3}{|\vec k|^2+m^2}Now, we can perform a substitution u=|\vec k|^2 to obtain: -i2\pi^2\int^{\Lambda^2}_0 \frac{du}{2} \frac{u}{u+m^2}We can now evaluate the integral to get: -i\pi^2(\Lambda^2+m^2\log\left(\frac{\Lambda^2+m^2}{m^2}\right))Finally, we can "revert" the Wick rotation by setting k_E^0=0 and k^2=|\vec k|^2=\Lambda^2. This gives us the desired result: \sim\Lambda^2+m\log\left(\frac{\Lambda^2+m^2}{m^2}\right)

1. What is the purpose of evaluating loop-integrals with momentum cutoff?

The purpose of evaluating loop-integrals with momentum cutoff is to regulate the divergences that arise in quantum field theory calculations. These divergences are a result of infinitely small momentum values and can lead to nonsensical results. By introducing a cutoff, the integral is restricted to a finite range and the results become finite and physically meaningful.

2. How is the momentum cutoff determined?

The momentum cutoff is typically chosen to be a scale that is much larger than the energy scale of the system being studied. This ensures that the integral is still sensitive to the relevant physics, but does not include contributions from very high energy modes that may lead to large divergences.

3. What is the process for evaluating loop-integrals with momentum cutoff?

The process for evaluating loop-integrals with momentum cutoff involves first setting up the integral in a way that is amenable to using the cutoff. This typically involves rewriting the integral in terms of a parameter that represents the cutoff scale. The integral is then evaluated using standard techniques, but with the additional step of taking the limit as the cutoff tends to infinity. This ensures that the results are independent of the chosen cutoff scale.

4. Are there any limitations to using momentum cutoff in loop-integral evaluations?

While momentum cutoff is a widely used and effective method for regulating divergences in loop-integrals, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can introduce an artificial dependence on the cutoff scale in the results. This is known as scale dependence and can be problematic if not properly accounted for. Additionally, momentum cutoff may not be applicable in certain situations, such as when working with theories that have non-renormalizable interactions.

5. How does the use of momentum cutoff compare to other methods of regularization?

There are several other methods of regularization used in loop-integral evaluations, such as dimensional regularization and lattice regularization. Dimensional regularization involves analytically continuing the dimension of spacetime to a non-integer value, while lattice regularization discretizes spacetime into a grid. Each method has its own advantages and drawbacks, and the choice of which method to use depends on the specific problem being studied.