Can a Function be Both Even and Odd at the Same Time?

In summary, it seems that in Case 3, f is even and g is odd, but you can't say anything else about the sum of the function.
{~}
I have been looking at my old calculus textbook because to my dismay I seem to have forgotten most of the calculus I learned. I am given 3 cases of ##(f+g)(x) ##.

Case 1 both f and g are even:
I know ##f(x) = f(-x) ## and ##g(x)=g(-x) ## for the domain of the function. I can reason by substitution that
##f(x)+g(x)=f(-x)+g(-x) ##
##(f+g)(x)=(f+g)(-x) ##
##(f+g)(x) ## is even. So far so good.

Case 2 both f and g are odd:
I found that if ##f(x)=-g(x)+c ## then
##(f+g)(x)=c ## which is even.
Otherwise I think that ##(f+g)(x) ## would be odd though I don't know how to assert that.

Case 3 f is even and g is odd:
I think that other than is special case where one or both of our functions are zero for all x in the domain ##(f+g)(x) ## would neither be even or odd. I don't know how to prove this.

I know that the notions of even an odd is defined in terms of sets rather than algebraically like I did here. I think if I understood sets better I might have more of a handle on this, I don't know. Hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##f## and ##g## are odd:

##(f+g)(-x)=f(-x)+g(-x)=-f(x)-g(x)=-(f+g)(x)##.

DarthMatter said:
If ##f## and ##g## are odd:

##(f+g)(-x)=f(-x)+g(-x)=-f(x)-g(x)=-(f+g)(x)##.
I had something similar, but why does this look like it's always true when it isn't? Or is my special case wrong?

What special case? ##-g(x)+c## is not odd in general.

DarthMatter said:
What special case? ##-g(x)+c## is not odd in general.
Thanks for pointing out my error. That made things less confusing.

{~} said:
I think that other than is special case where one or both of our functions are zero for all x in the domain ##(f+g)(x) ## would neither be even or odd. I don't know how to prove this.
Suppose that ##f## is even and ##g## is odd.

If ##f+g## is even then ##f(x) + g(x) = f(-x) + g(-x)## for all ##x##. Since ##f(x) = f(-x)##, it follows that ##g(x) = g(-x)##. But ##g## is odd, so also ##g(x) = -g(-x)##. Therefore, ##g(-x) = -g(-x)##, or equivalently ##2g(-x) = 0##. This is true for all ##x##, so ##g## is the zero function.

If ##f+g## is odd then ##f(x) + g(x) = -f(-x) - g(-x)## for all ##x##. Since ##g(x) = -g(-x)##, this is equivalent to ##f(x) = -f(-x)##. But ##f## is even, so also ##f(x) = f(-x)##. Therefore, ##f(-x) = -f(-x)##, or ##2f(-x) = 0##. This is true for all ##x##, so ##f## is the zero function.

Last edited:
{~} said:
I think that other than is special case where one or both of our functions are zero for all x in the domain (f+g)(x) would neither be even or odd. I don't know how to prove this.
In Case 3 you can not say anything about the sum of an even + odd function. Any function, h(x), can be represented as the sum of an even function and an odd function. So you can not state any conclusions about h.
( Define even(x) = (h(x) + h(-x))/2 and odd(x) = (h(x) - h(-x))/2. Prove that h(x) = even(x) + odd(x), that even(x) is even, and that odd(x) is odd.)

Last edited:

What are even and odd functions?

Even and odd functions are two types of mathematical functions that have specific properties. Even functions are symmetrical about the y-axis and have the property f(x) = f(-x). Odd functions are symmetrical about the origin and have the property f(x) = -f(-x).

What is the difference between even and odd functions?

The main difference between even and odd functions is their symmetry. Even functions are symmetrical about the y-axis, while odd functions are symmetrical about the origin. This means that even functions have mirror images on either side of the y-axis, while odd functions have mirror images on either side of the origin.

What are the graphs of even and odd functions?

The graph of an even function is symmetrical about the y-axis and has a shape that is the same on both sides. The graph of an odd function is symmetrical about the origin and has a shape that is the same on both sides, but flipped upside down.

What are some examples of even and odd functions?

Examples of even functions include f(x) = x², f(x) = cos(x), and f(x) = |x|. Examples of odd functions include f(x) = x³, f(x) = sin(x), and f(x) = tan(x).

How are even and odd functions useful in science?

Even and odd functions are used in science to describe and analyze many natural phenomena, such as wave functions in physics, sound and light waves in acoustics and optics, and molecular vibrations in chemistry. They can also be used to simplify mathematical calculations and equations in various scientific fields.