Every element of a finite field is a sum of 2 squares?

In summary, Dick suggests that the sum of two squares can be shown to be a subgroup of the finite field F, and that this can be proved using a function that maps F* to itself. He also suggests that if y=x^2, then y has at most two square roots.
erogard
Hi everyone,

I have to prove that every element z of a finite field F is a sum of 2 squares.

Really not sure how to go about proving this, though I've done some research and it is suggested to start with a function that maps F* to itself, defined by [tex] f(x) = x^{2} [/tex].

I guess if I could show some kind of surjectivity, in the sense that any [tex] z \in F [/tex] can be written as [tex] z = f(a) + f(b) [/tex] for some a, b in F. Well I'll post here my progresses as I keep thinking about it, but in the meanwhile any hint or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First try showing that the product of (a^2+b^2) and (c^2 + d^2) is itself the sum of two squares. This tells you that the set of all nonzero numbers that can be written as the sum of two squares is a subgroup of F*. It contains the subgroup of all nonzero squares, which (away from characteristic 2) has index 2 (why?). Show the containment is proper.

Citan Uzuki said:
First try showing that the product of (a^2+b^2) and (c^2 + d^2) is itself the sum of two squares. This tells you that the set of all nonzero numbers that can be written as the sum of two squares is a subgroup of F*. It contains the subgroup of all nonzero squares, which (away from characteristic 2) has index 2 (why?). Show the containment is proper.

Ok, I'm almost there. All I need to show now is that if we define S as the subset of F containing all the elements of F squared, then |S| = ( |E| + 1 ) /2.

but I'm not sure how to show this (otherwise I could readily conclude using an inequality relating the cardinalities of subsets of F).

Go back your original idea and define f(x)=x^2. You know that if y=x^2 then y=(-x)^2 as well. So if y has one square root then it has two (forget characteristic two for the moment). Can it have three? If y=a^2 and y=b^2 can you show a=+/-b?

Dick said:
Go back your original idea and define f(x)=x^2. You know that if y=x^2 then y=(-x)^2 as well. So if y has one square root then it has two (forget characteristic two for the moment). Can it have three? If y=a^2 and y=b^2 can you show a=+/-b?

Yep, pretty easily. So y has at most two square roots (well precisely 2 if y is different from 0, besides the special case for y =1). So for each element squared and its inverse squared correspond to one and the same element. That divides |F| by two, I guess. Then we must account for 0 and 1... let's see. If I take a very simple example, say with { 0, 1, -1, x, -x }, then S = {0, 1, x} whose cardinality clearly is (5+1)/2 = 3. Well I think I can argue that this holds in the general case.

Edit: (n-3)/2 plus 2 (to account for 0 and 1) = (n+1)/2. I think I got it.

The HW is due today, so I'll do it this way whether it's right or not (it's just a small part of the HW), but thanks for your contribution Dick, once again.

Last edited:

1. What is a finite field?

A finite field is a mathematical concept that consists of a finite set of elements and two operations, addition and multiplication, that follow certain rules and properties.

2. What does it mean for an element of a finite field to be a sum of 2 squares?

In a finite field, every element can be expressed as a sum of two squares if and only if the characteristic of the field is not 2. This means that every element can be written as the sum of two numbers that are squared (multiplied by themselves).

3. How do you prove that every element of a finite field is a sum of 2 squares?

To prove that every element of a finite field is a sum of 2 squares, you can use a theorem known as the Fermat's Two Square Theorem. This theorem states that every prime number can be written as the sum of two squares. Since finite fields have a finite number of elements, this theorem can be extended to show that every element in the field can also be written as a sum of two squares.

4. Why is the characteristic of the field important in determining if an element is a sum of 2 squares?

The characteristic of a field determines the behavior of operations such as addition and multiplication. If the characteristic is not 2, then every element can be expressed as a sum of two squares. However, if the characteristic is 2, then this property does not hold true.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing that every element of a finite field is a sum of 2 squares?

This property has various applications in fields such as number theory, coding theory, and cryptography. It can also be used to simplify calculations and proofs in these areas of mathematics.