Every integer can be written as a sum of a square and square free integer

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of showing that every positive integer can be written as the product of a square and a square-free integer. It is suggested to use prime factorization, where even powers are considered perfect squares and odd powers are used to create the square-free integer. The example of 60=22*3*5 is used to demonstrate this concept. The conversation also addresses how to handle numbers like 6, which can be written as 1*6, where 1 is a perfect square and 6 is square-free. It is concluded that the task is complete and the conversation is over.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

show that every positive integer can be written as the product of a square and a square-free integer (an integer that is not divisible by any perfect squares other than one

The Attempt at a Solution

well i can see by example that this works: i.e 60=22*3*5

Basically we want to show that any integer n>0 can be written as

n=p1a1p2a2 ...pkak

if ai is even, then its a perfect square
if ai is odd, then piai-1 is a perfect square and pi is square free.

I don't know where to go from here... or if what i have said is correct

any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The p's are the prime factorization, right? Then you are done. Multiply the perfect squares to get one factor and multiply the square free parts to get the other factor.

Oh really?

so i am completley done with this problem?

but how do i deal with numbers like 6 whose prime factorization is 2*3

2 is 2^1. So that falls into your odd case. 2 is square free and 2^(1-1)=1, which is a perfect square, but not a very interesting one.

ok thanks feel free to lock.

snootchieboochee said:
oh really?

So i am completley done with this problem?

But how do i deal with numbers like 6 whose prime factorization is 2*3
1= 12 is itself a square. 6= 1*6: a square times a square free number.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can you explain the concept of "square and square free integers"?

A square integer is a number that is the result of multiplying a whole number by itself (e.g. 4 is a square integer because 2 x 2 = 4). A square free integer, on the other hand, is a number that cannot be divided by a square number (e.g. 6 is square free because it cannot be divided by 2 x 2 = 4).

2. How is it possible for every integer to be written as a sum of a square and square free integer?

This is possible because every integer can be expressed as a product of prime numbers. Any prime number can be considered as a square free integer, and any composite number can be expressed as a product of prime numbers, which can then be divided into square and square free integers.

3. Are there any limitations to this concept?

Yes, there are some limitations. For example, this concept may not work for negative numbers or imaginary numbers. It also may not work for extremely large numbers that cannot be easily expressed as a product of prime numbers.

4. How is this concept useful in mathematics?

This concept can be useful in various mathematical proofs and problem-solving techniques. It can also help in simplifying complex calculations and in understanding the fundamental properties of integers.

5. Can this concept be applied to other types of numbers?

Yes, this concept can be applied to other types of numbers, such as rational numbers, irrational numbers, and even complex numbers. By expressing these numbers as a sum of a square and square free number, we can gain a better understanding of their properties and relationships with other numbers.