1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evolute question

1. Aug 22, 2007 #1
    Prove that the evolute of the rectangular hyperbola [tex] x=a\cosh\theta [/tex], [tex] y=a\sinh\theta [/tex] is [tex] x^{\frac{2}{3}} - y^{\frac{2}{3}}= (2a)^{\frac{2}{3}}\\ [/tex].
    Let (X,Y) be a pair of coordinates on the center of curvature (the evolute) of the hyperbola. [tex] X =x -\frac{y^{'}(1 + (y^')^2)}{y^{''}} \\ [/tex] and [tex] Y = y-\frac{(1 + (y^')^2)}{y^{''}} \\ [/tex], where [tex] y^{'}=\frac{dy}{dx} \\[/tex].
    Now [tex] \frac{dx}{d\theta} = a sinh\theta [/tex], [tex] \frac{dy}{d\theta}=a cosh\theta \\ [/tex]; therefore [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \coth\theta \\ [/tex];
    hence [tex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{d \coth\theta}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dx} =-\cosech^2\theta \frac{d\theta}{dx}\\ [/tex].
    Therefore [tex] y^{''} =-\frac{cosech^2 \theta}{a\sinh\theta}\\ [/tex].
    Therefore [tex] X = a\cosh\theta + a\cosh\theta(\sinh^2\theta + \cosh^2\theta)\\[/tex] and [tex] Y = a\sinh\theta + a\sinh\theta(\sinh^2\theta + \cosh^2\theta) \\[/tex].
    Thest are the parametric equations of the evolute. How do I get the cartesian form of the equations for the evolute. I mean how do I eliminate [tex] \theta [/tex]. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2007 #2
    Therefore I get [tex] x^{\frac{1}{3}} - y^{\frac{1}{3}} = (2a)^{\frac{1}{3}}((\cosh^3\theta)^{\frac{1}{3}} \\ - ( \sinh^{\frac{1}{3}}\theta + \sinh^3\theta)^{\frac{1}{3}}) \\[/tex] which gives [tex]x^{\frac{2}{3}} - y^{\frac{2}{3}} = (2a)^{\frac{2}{3}}( 1 - \sinh^{\frac{2}{3}}\theta)\\ [/tex] Can anyone see where I went wrong? Thanks for the help.

4. Sep 3, 2007 #3
    John

There is a typo in the formula for Y above. It should be Y=y + etc. Then you get the required result.

Regards

5. Sep 3, 2007 #4
    Thanks for the reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?